Leaving a job or career can feel daunting and challenging. Even more so if it is due to an injury that was out of your control. We recognise that this may be a difficult time for you and your family. Understanding the process, knowing where to go for assistance, taking the time to prepare yourself and understanding the skills you have acquired throughout your career can all help minimise the stress to you and your family.

When am I referred to Career Transition?

Your Injury Management Advisor (IMA) has been collaborating with you to assist you in returning to your pre-injury role. However, there is new medical evidence from your treatment providers indicating that you're permanently unable to return to work with NSW Police Force.

Upon receipt of one medical report from your treatment providers recommending medical retirement, your Injury Management Advisor is able to make a referral to Career Transition.

If the referral is accepted, a Career Transition Officer (CTO) will be assigned to you. The Career Transition Officer will make contact with you within 7 days.

How will my Career Transition Officer assist me?

Your Career Transition Officer will communicate with your treatment providers to gather sufficient medical information to support medical retirement. This medical information needs to satisfy Section 94B of the Police Act 1990 for the Commissioner's Delegate to support medical retirement.

While this occurs, your Career Transition Officer will also continue to work closely with you to assist you in achieving your recovery, transition or vocational goals.

The skillset that employees develop throughout their policing careers is desirable for both public and private employers. As part of preparing for life after NSW Police Force, there is assistance available with arranging recognition of prior learning, identifying transferrable skills, exploring education, retraining and identifying meaningful work options.  This can lead to engagement with a rehabilitation provider, volunteering opportunities, work trials and transition to future paid employment.

Your Career Transition Officer is dedicated to supporting you through each step. Please speak with them to discuss this in further detail.

Medical Retirement

Administrative & Post-88

Medical retirement will occur when the Commissioner's Delegate has determined that Section 94B of the Police Act 1990 has been satisfied.

SECTION 94B - POLICE ACT 1990 - Retirement on medical grounds

The Commissioner may retire a member of the NSW Police Force if:

(a) the person is found on medical grounds to be unfit to perform or incapable of discharging the duties of the person's position, and

(b) the person's unfitness or incapacity:

(i) appears likely to be of a permanent nature, and

(ii) has not arisen from actual misconduct on the part of the person, or from causes within the person's control.


For pre-88 officers, please refer to the Medical Discharge found on the Hurt on Duty page.

Last Day of Service

I have been told my last day of service is soon. What next?

Your last day of service will coincide with the end of a pay period. This means that you should receive payment for all your leave entitlements and anything else owing with your last pay from NSW Police Force. A breakdown of this payment will be posted to you by NSW Police Force.

The NSW Police Force Personnel Unit in HR Transaction Services will pay your final entitlements into your nominated bank account up to two weeks after your last day of service.

Whether you require ongoing support with your treatment and recovery, want to know more about your options moving forward or are ready to consider a new career, there are some great programs your case manager can discuss with you and your treatment providers. For more information, please visit the Support Services page.

EML will take over paying you directly so it is important that you speak with your case manager about what is required. They will send you some forms to complete including your preferred bank details, tax file number. For more information, please visit the Finances page.

If you have a claim for income protection with TAL, it is important that you also speak to your TAL case manager to make sure everything is in order. Income protection payments from TAL are made monthly in arrears. For specific questions around TAL payments, speak with your TAL case manager. For more information, please visit the Finances page.

Who can help with what?

Your Support Team

  • Command

    Leading up to your last day of service, your Command contacts are best to assist you with things such as:

    • Obtaining your certificate of service
    • Returning your work belongings and returning your personal items from your locker
    • Collecting your personal belongings
    • Dealing with payroll
    • Extending your last day of service
  • Career Transition Officer

    Your Career Transition Officer is the key contact leading up to your last day of service with NSWPF. They can help you with:

    • Understanding the process and what is required
    • Recommending support services to help with transitioning to life after NSW Police Force.
  • NSWPF Shared Services

    The NSWPF Personnel Unit in HR Transaction Services will pay your final entitlements into your nominated bank account up to two weeks after your final last day of duty.

  • EML Case Manager

    Your current Case Manager at EML specialises in transition support services and can assist you in the next stages of your recovery.

    Your Case Manger will ensure your payments continue directly from EML. These payments will be set up from your last date of service, will be based on your capacity and your family circumstances. Your weekly benefits will be paid directly into your nominated bank account.

    EML can provide you with career transition services and recruitment support to assist you in returning to new employment.

  • Family

    Family members and close friends can be great support for you but sometimes they need a bit of help too. Did you know that family members can access help in several ways? Including:

    • NSWPF Family Support Officer - ask your Career Transition Officer for further information or call the Family Support Officer on Tel: 1800 803 040 during normal business hours).
    • NSWPF Employee Assistance Program - up to 6 sessions with a counsellor free of charge for family members of current and recently transitioned employees.
    • Referral to a private psychologist as part of your workers compensation claim - speak with your EML Case Manager.
    • Kookaburra Kids provides age - appropriate mental health education and early intervention for children whose parents have a mental illness. The program is available for families of NSW Police Officers who have a current workers compensation claim involving psychological injury and have children aged between 8 and 18.

What options do I have for the future?

All I know is the cops, what job could I possibly do now?

Regardless of your length of service with NSW Police, you have acquired some very effective and desirable skills and capabilities.

The following outlines some capabilities and what this looks like in the workplace aligned to different ranks. You may find this useful in considering how to apply your skillset to a new role outside of the Police Force.

Transferable Skills and Recognising Your Education and Experience

Regardless of your length of service with NSWPF, you have undoubtedly gained an impressive array of knowledge, skills and experience that employers find valuable.

Did you know that many of your skills and education gained with NSW Police Force can transfer to qualifications that can assist you in finding a new job? Speak to your Case Manager today to learn more or visit:

College For Law, Education and Training

You can learn more about your transferrable skills here.