The NSW Police Force InfoLink Unit, provides a single point of contact for external parties to request information from the NSW Police Force (NSWPF), respond to requests for information in accordance with legislation and manage objections to the release of information when applicable.
Common Information Enquiries
Is the information you are seeking already available to you?
Under the Government Information (Public Access) (GIPA) Act 2009, each NSW Government department and agency is required to publish an annual Publication Guide. The NSW Police Force 'Information Guide' describes the structure and functions of the NSW Police Force, how these functions affect the public and how the public can participate in policy formulation.
Access NSW Police Force Information Guide.
Information previously released by NSWPF under GIPA Act
Details concerning decisions made by NSW Police Force in response to an application that may be of interest to other members of the public may be included on a Disclosure Log.
The NSW Police Force's Disclosure Log provides details of:
- The date the application was decided;
- A description of the information to which access was provided;
- A statement as to whether the information is now available to other members of the public and
- How the information can be accessed.
Do you need information relevant to an insurance claim?
If you would like information regarding a motor vehicle collision report that you were specifically involved in (or you are an authorised representative of the party/parties specifically involved in the incident), please complete the:
If you are an insurance company or the agent of an insurance company where a claim has been lodged, and would like a motor vehicle accident or crime incident report, please complete the:
- Insurers to Download - CTP Application for Incident Report P1146 (PDF)
- Download the P862 Application for Incident Report form (PDF)
Do I have to pay for the information?
A non-refundable search fee applies for each report.
Payment is to be made by cheque or money order made payable to NSW Police Force, or via credit card.
How do I lodge the application?
The completed form and payment should be sent to:
Insurance Services Unit
Locked Bag 5102
PARRAMATTA NSW 2124
Who can I talk to if I have any questions about the form?
Please call (02) 8835 8400 between 8.30am and 4.30pm, Monday to Friday, excluding Public Holidays.
Is the information related to matters before the court?
Are you seeking information relating to a coronial matter?
If the information you require relates to a deceased person/s whose death was investigated by the State Coroner, please contact the Coroner's Office before completing this application, on telephone no. (02) 8584 7777, or visit the State Coroner http://www.coroners.justice.nsw.gov.au (as information in relation to Coronial matters can only be released by the Coroner’s office).
What information is not available?
The full list of public interest considerations against disclosure can be found within the GIPA Act, PART 2, DIVISION 2, SECTION 14. Some of the most common public interest considerations against disclosure of information are listed below. Where the information would:
- reveal an individual’s personal information,
- contravene an information protection principle under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 or a Health Privacy Principle under the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002,
- prejudice any court proceedings by revealing matter prepared for the purposes of or in relation to current or future proceedings,
- prejudice the fair trial of any person, the impartial adjudication of any case or a person’s right to procedural fairness,
- reveal false or unsubstantiated allegations about a person that are defamatory,
- expose a person to a risk of harm or of serious harassment or serious intimidation,
- in the case of the disclosure of personal information about a child—the disclosure of information that it would not be in the best interests of the child to have disclosed, prejudice the prevention, detection or investigation of a contravention or possible contravention of the law or prejudice the enforcement of the law.