- Ongoing Importation of Firearms, Firearm Parts, Ammunition and Weapons
- Overview of the New Process (PDF)
- New Import Application Forms (PDF)
- What is a B709 Police certification and confirmation? (PDF)
- Information regarding Importing Silencers (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions
Application Forms for an Individual or Business Non-Dealer
- Are you an individual or a business (non-dealer) seeking a police certification and confirmation to import firearms or weapons?
Application Forms for a Firearms or Weapons Dealer
- Are you a NSW licensed firearms dealer seeking a police certification and confirmation to import firearms or weapons as dealer stock?
The importation of firearms, firearm parts, ammunition, firearm magazines, accessories for firearms and weapons is controlled and restricted by the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service. To import any of these items into NSW, the importer must first obtain approval from either the Commonwealth Attorney General's Department or from the NSW Police Firearms Registry.
The items requiring approval are listed in Schedule 6 to the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulation 1956, which specifies the type of approval required and the tests required to be met for importation of the article. The approval confirms that the item being imported can be lawfully possessed in NSW by the person importing and this approval is presented to Customs for release of the article.
Approval from the NSW Police Firearms Registry is obtained for all category A & B firearms, category C firearms for a primary producer and category H firearms for sports/target shooters and collectors and for certain prohibited weapons and is called a B709 application. All other types of firearms require approval from the Commonwealth Attorney General.
If you are unsure whether you make application to the Commonwealth Attorney General or the NSW Police Firearms Registry for the article you wish to import, contact Customs who will be able to advise you.
Department of Immigration and Border Protection Contacts:
Enquiries: 1300 363 263 or visit www.border.gov.au/about/contact/make-enquiry
+6106275 6666 (outside Australia)
Firearm and Weapon Fact Sheets: www.border.gov.au/Busi/Impo/Proh/Firearms-and-weapons
Department of Defence Contacts:
Defence Export Controls: www.defence.gov.au/ExportControls/
Enquiries: 1800 661 066
+6126266 7222 (outside Australia)