A Class 2 security licence, also known as a security operative licence, allows you to work in a wide range of specialist fields in the security industry.

These specialist fields include working as a security consultant, selling, installing, maintaining and repairing security equipment, providing security training, brokering security contracts and working as a locksmith.

Class 2 Licence Subclasses

There are four subclasses, and you can hold more than one subclass at a time.

  • Class 2A Security Consultant – work as a security adviser or consultant, identifying and analysing security risks and selling solutions and strategies to minimise these risks
  • Class 2B Security Seller –
    • Sell security equipment and provide advice on its use. You are not licensed to install, maintain or repair security equipment
    • Receive payment for referring a client to another licensed security operator
    • Negotiate or obtain contracts to supply security equipment or security operatives to carry on security activity
    • Be paid to negotiate contracts on someone else’s behalf to carry on security activity
  • Class 2C Security Equipment Specialist – sell, install, maintain, repair, service and provide advice in relation to security equipment. This includes electronic security equipment like CCTV cameras and alarm systems and barrier equipment like fencing and security roller doors. You can also work as a locksmith
  • Class 2D Security Trainer – provide training, assessment or instruction in relation to any security activity. This does not include training, assessment or instruction in the use of firearms.
  • Class 2E Private Investigator – work as a private investigator carrying on investigation and/or surveillance activities.

Am I Eligible for a Class 2 Licence?

There are a few requirements you need to meet to be eligible for a Class 2 licence.

  • You need to be at least 18 years old
  • You need to be:
    • an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or
    • a permanent resident, or
    • hold a visa sponsored by a Master licence holder, or
    • hold a visa for a skilled occupation that corresponds to the licence subclass for which you’re applying. No other visa types will be accepted
  • If you are a not an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or an Australian permanent resident you must provide a Police Clearance Certificate for every country you've lived in for more than 12 months outside of Australia in the past 10 years since you were 16 years old. If necessary, it must be translated into English, have been issued within the past 12 months and must be verified by that country's consulate or embassy in Australia.
  • You must have completed any required training and meet any specified mandatory experience requirements

If you have a criminal record, it could affect your eligibility. You’re not eligible for a NSW security licence if you have been:

  • Convicted of a prescribed criminal offence in the past 10 years
  • Found guilty of a prescribed criminal offence in the past five years, with no conviction recorded (click here for more information about prescribed criminal offences)
  • Declared a registrable person or corresponding registrable person within the meaning of the Child Protection (Offenders Registration) Act 2000 with reporting obligations under that Act
  • Had a civil penalty imposed on you in the past five years
  • Been removed or dismissed from the NSW Police Force, or any other police force in Australia or overseas.

SLED may also refuse your application if:

  • You have provided false or misleading information
  • You didn’t provide all the required documentation with your application
  • Granting a licence would not be in the public interest, for example, if SLED believes the licence will be improperly used, or that improper conduct is likely to occur if a licence is issued
  • You are linked to past or current criminal activity or criminal investigations
  • You are not considered to be a fit and proper person to hold a security licence. Your personal and criminal history is taken into account when making this decision.

See the Am I Eligible For a NSW Security Licence Fact Sheet for more information.

What Training do I need for a Class 2 Licence?

If you’re applying for a Class 2A, 2D or 2E licence, there are specific training and experience requirements you need to meet before you apply.

Visit training.gov.au to find more information about the required courses for 2A, 2D and 2E licences and the Registered Training Organisations where you can complete your training.

You don’t need to provide our office with evidence of having completed formal training if you want to apply for a Class 2B or 2C licence, however you will be expected to have the necessary skills and relevant qualifications to enable you to carry your work safely and in accordance with other relevant industry guidelines.

Class 2A:

To qualify for a Class 2A licence you must have at least five years of relevant security industry experience (see more information below), as well as:

  • CPP41519 Certificate IV in Security Risk Analysis including the units of competency:
    • Core units:
      • CPPSEC4003 Assess and advise on client security needs
      • CPPSEC4006 Conduct security risk assessment of client operations
      • CPPSEC4007 Identify security threats and assess impact on client operations
      • CPPSEC4012 Assess security vulnerabilities of assets
      • CPPSEC4022 Establish and implement ethics and governance arrangements for security businesses
    • Group A elective:
      • CPPSEC4020 Advise on advanced technology security systems to meet client needs
    • Group B electives:
      • CPPSEC4024 Assess security of crowded places
      • CPPSEC4025 Advise on operational requirements to maintain crowded place security
      • PSPSEC0015 Communicate security awareness
    • Group D elective:
      • CPPSEC5004 Develop security risk management plans
    • From external training package:
      • CPPSEC5003 Assess security risk management options
    • PLUS one elective subject of your choice.

Class 2A experience requirements

You need to demonstrate to the Commissioner of Police's satisfaction that you have:

  • Held a Class 1 and/or a Class 2 security licence continuously for a total period of at least five years, or
  • Been recorded as a nominated person for one or more Master security licensees continuously for a total period of at least five years, or
  • Been employed by one or more Master security licensees to manage the carrying on of security activities continuously for a total period of at least five years, or
  • Carried on the activities authorised by a Class 2A licence in another jurisdiction, or as an exempt person, for a total period of at least five years.

Note: relevant experience is deemed to be continuous if not broken by any period in excess of 12 months, including the period immediately prior to the application for the Class 2A licence.

You must submit evidence that you satisfy these experience requirements with your licence application.

Class 2D:

To qualify for a Class 2D licence you must have at least three years of relevant security industry experience, as well as hold, at a minimum, one of the following vocational training and assessment qualifications (or their successors):

  • TAE40122 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
  • TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment
  • TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment plus the following units:
    • TAELLN411 or TAELLN401A and
    • TAEASS501 or TAEASS502A or
    • TAEASS502B
  • Diploma or higher-level qualification in adult education

You must also provide an employment statement from your current and/or previous employers as evidence of your security industry experience.

Class 2E:

To qualify for a Class 2E licence you must have completed CPP30619 Certificate III in Investigative Services.

A total of 16 units are required - the 5 core units and 11 electives. With your elective units, you must complete:

  • All 8 units in Group A plus 3 units from any other group not already selected, OR
  • All 7 units in Group B plus 4 units from any other group not already selected
  • Up to 1 unit may be selected from any training package as long as it contributes to a valid, industry-supported vocational outcome and maintains the Australian Qualifications Framework for this course.

CPP30607 has now been superseded and is no longer accepted.

Individuals who were licensed for private inquiry agent activities under the repealed Commercial Agents and Private Inquiry Agents (CAPI) Act 2004 and transitioned to the Security Industry Act 1997 are not required to redo their training. These licensees only need to provide SLED with evidence that they completed the required qualification that was applicable at the time they were first licensed.

For a list of RTOs offering Private Investigator training, and detailed information about the course structure, refer to www.training.gov.au and search by either the qualification name or code.

Please note: The probationary licence pathway that was part of the CAPI licensing scheme no longer exists for private investigators. New applicants will be required to provide their qualifications within 42 days of making their security licence application.

How do I Apply?

Apply online via Service NSW and attach all necessary documentation when requested.

Once your application is submitted:

  1. SLED will contact you with instructions to visit a police station to have your finger/palmprints taken, or to request further information to be provided to support your application. Note: You don’t have to provide your fingerprints if previously provided for a NSW security, CAPI or tattoo licence.
  2. Once you receive your fingerprint letter you have 42 days to have your fingerprints taken. If you don't provide your qualifications on the day you apply, you have 42 days from the day you lodged your application to provide them to SLED. If you receive a request for any other information, you have 14 days to provide the requested information to SLED. If you don’t have your fingerprints taken or provide the required information within these timeframes your application will be refused.
  3. SLED will conduct a probity assessment, to determine your suitability to be granted a NSW security licence.
  4. If your licence is granted you will receive a Photograph Advice letter via email.
  5. You have 60 days to take the Photograph Advice letter to a Service NSW centre to have your photograph taken.
  6. Your licence card will be sent to you by post. Make sure you have provided your current address to SLED.
  7. If your application is refused, you will receive a letter explaining the reason/s and the appeals process. For more information, see the Refusal, Revocation and Right of Review page.

If SLED needs to contact you to get further information or to chase up missing documents, your application will be delayed.

Important: make sure your name, address and contact details are correct on all documentation submitted with your application. Also make sure that Service NSW and Transport for NSW have your current address and contact details on file. If your contact details are incorrect or out of date you may miss important information SLED will send you as part of your application.

SLED uses SMS and emails to communicate with applicants throughout the application process. We recommend you regularly check your spam folder and add SLED (sled@police.nsw.gov.au) to your contacts to ensure you don’t miss out on important information.

If you are unable to apply online, click here for SLED’s application forms. Please be aware, postal timeframes and manual data entry can result in applications lodged via mail being delayed by several weeks.

What Conditions Will my Licence Have?

All NSW security licences have certain conditions attached to them. These conditions ensure licences are being used appropriately and help SLED to regulate the industry safely and fairly.

Class 2 licence conditions:

  • You must display your licence at all times when carrying out security activities. Licences must be clearly visible and worn on the front or side of your body above the waist on the outside of your clothing.
  • To carry out any security activity you must be employed or provided by a master licence holder or hold a master licence yourself.
  • You must notify SLED within 14 days of any change of particulars including your address, email address and phone number.
  • You must notify SLED within seven days if your licence is lost, destroyed, damaged or stolen. You have 14 days to lodge an application for a new card.
  • You must produce your licence for inspection on demand by a police officer or any other member of the NSW Police Force, or any person you have dealings while carrying out any security activity.
  • After you renew your licence, you have 60 days to attend a Service NSW centre to have a new photograph taken.

Penalties may apply, including fines and the suspension or revocation of your licence, if you breach any of your licence conditions.

Class 2 Licence Fines

All NSW security licences have certain conditions attached to them. These conditions ensure licences are being used appropriately and help SLED to regulate the industry safely and fairly.

You may receive a fine if you breach any of your licence conditions. Your licence could also be suspended or revoked.

If a fine is unsuccessfully challenged in court, the court may impose greater financial penalties than those listed below.

Breach of licence conditions Maximum fine
Failing to tell Police Assistance Line (131 444) within seven days after a security licence is lost, stolen, destroyed or damaged. $1,100
Delegating your security duties to people who don't hold a security licences. $4,400
Using, or attempting to use, suggest or imply you can use, your licence for any purpose other than your authorised security activity. $5,500
Providing false or misleading information to SLED at any time, including in applications and any other information, records or details you are asked to provide. $5,500
Failing to produce your licence for inspection on demand by a police officer or any other members of the NSW Police Force, or any person you have dealings with while carrying out any security activity. $5,500
Failing to wear your security licence on the front of your outer clothing, above the waist, at all times while carrying out security activity. This does not apply if you have special permission from SLED to operate without displaying your licence. $5,500
Carrying out a security activity without a Class 1 or Class 2 security licence. This does not include master licence holders who provide licensed security operators. $5,500
Failing to immediately surrender a suspended or revoked licence. $11,000*
Advertising security services without a master licence. $11,000*
Using false, misleading or deceptive statements, representations or promises or deliberately hiding facts to induce any person to enter into an agreement or contract related to carrying out any security activity. $11,000*
Selling, renting or hiring out a security licence, or allowing another person to use someone else's security licence. $11,000*
  • * $11,000 fine and/or six months jail

Please note: SLED may impose additional conditions on licensees as required. Breaching these conditions may result in a fine of up to $22,000 for a corporation or $11,000 and up to six months imprisonment for an individual.

Licence Suspensions and Revocations

There are certain circumstances in which SLED will be required to suspend or revoke a security licence.

Reasons for licence suspension include:

  • If SLED believes you have engaged, or may engage, in improper conduct
  • If you are charged with a serious offence
  • If you breach the Security Industry Act 1997 legislation or regulations
  • If you are found liable to a prescribed civil penalty

Reasons for licence revocation include:

  • If you are convicted or an indictable offence, including assault, theft, fraud, drug offences and murder
  • If you are linked to criminal intelligence or a criminal investigation
  • If you provide false or misleading information to SLED in your licence application or renewal
  • If you breach the Security Industry Act 1997 legislation or regulations
  • If there is criminal intelligence that suggests you are likely to engage in improper conduct if you continue to hold a security licence
  • Any other reason prescribed under the Act or the regulations.


When you apply for a security licence, or renew your existing licence, you can choose to have a one year or a five year licence.

There are also fees associated with other aspects of security licensing, including add or deleting subclasses, replacing your licence or changing your name on your licence card.

A $120 nonrefundable processing fee is included in the application fee. If you choose to withdraw your application this fee cannot be refunded.

If your application is refused, a refund of your application payment, minus the processing fee, will be provided once the appeal period is completed. Refunds can take up to six weeks to process from the date of refusal.

Click here for a full list of SLED licence fees (PDF).

Application and renewal fees
Application Type 1 Year Term 5 Year Term
New application $160 $640
On-time renewal $140 $560
Late renewal - within 90 days of
licence expiry date
$160 $640
Other licence fees
Amendments to LicencesFee
Variation - add or delete subclasses $80
Licence replacement or change or name $65
Change of licensee's address, contact details or other personal details Nil
Fingerprint and palmprint fee $40

Renew a Class 2 Licence

You can renew your Class 2 licence online from eight weeks before the licence expires.

Once the expiry date passes, you have up to 90 days to submit your renewal application. Late payment fees apply and must be paid when you submit your application. You are unlicensed until your licence has been renewed.

You cannot renew your licence once the 90 days have passed. If you want to continue to work in the security industry, you will need to submit a new application, including evidence that you meet the current security licence course training requirements.

You must present your photograph advice letter in person and have your photograph taken at any Service NSW Centre within 60 days when your licence is first issued and whenever you renew, replace or amend your licence.