Firearms dealers are expected to have a good working knowledge of the Firearms Act 1996 and the Firearms Regulation 2017 and in particular, the legislative requirements specific to a firearms dealer licence including record keeping, safe storage, security and reporting requirements.
What is a Firearms Dealer?
Section 4 of the Firearms Act 1996 defines a firearms dealer as a person who, in the course of carrying on a business or in carrying out their duties as a club armourer:
- manufactures, acquires, supplies, tests, repairs or converts firearms or firearm parts, and
- possesses firearms or firearm parts for the purpose of doing anything referred to above.
A firearms dealer licence is the licence which authorises the manufacture, acquisition, supply, testing, repair or conversion of firearms or firearm parts.
Application for a Firearms Dealer Licence
- FORM P560 (Sample) - First Time Application for a Firearms Dealer Licence (PDF)
- FACT Sheet - Instructions for completing a Firearms Dealer Licence Application (PDF)
- Checklist for First Time Firearms Dealer Licence Application (PDF)
- Zions Order Form (PDF)
- FACT Sheet - Firearms Dealer General Legislative Requirements (PDF)
- FACT Sheet - Firearms Dealer Legislative Requirements Registers and Reporting (PDF)
Safe Storage Firearms Dealers, Theatrical Armourers, Club Armourers
- FACT Sheet Firearms Dealer Safe Storage Level 7 - Premises and Safes (PDF)
- FACT Sheet Firearms Dealer Safe Storage Level 7 - Display and Registers (PDF)