The Retired Police Officer Identification Card was launched by Commissioner Andrew Scipione AO, APM at the inaugural NSW Police Legacy Backup for Life Expo. Commissioner Scipione acknowledged the contribution retired police officers made to the community of New South Wales and to the NSW Police Force. To honour the service of our retired officers, he approved the establishment of the Retired Police Officer Identification Card.

Who is eligible?

The granting of the Retired Officers Identification Card is to recognise diligent and ethical service by retired (including retired as medically unfit) members of the New South Wales Police Force. Those officers taking optional age retirement need to have completed a minimum of ten years diligent and ethical service.

Cost and Payment Method

How much will it cost?

There is a $5 non refundable cost recovery fee. NOTE: All other fees related to the National Criminal History Check, registered mail and production costs are being met by the NSW Police Force.

How do I pay?

Use the Payway link.

What is the process?

Option 1

Online Applications

*Complete the P1130 application form and follow the online links to pay the administrative fee via credit card (include the payment receipt number in the P1130 form or Print off the Receipt and send it in with your application) This form should be saved in .PDF format (Adobe Acrobat).

*Complete the P799 National Criminal History Check making sure to include the required certified copies of your identification. This form should be saved in .PDF format (Adobe Acrobat).

*Follow the Photo’s for Online Application instructions for the Retired Officers. Remember Photo’s must be saved in.JPG format. (Known as JPEG file).

*Verification of $5 Administration fee Paid.

*Scan & email all required documents and Photo’s to


PDF  format for your application & JPG format for your Photo’s.

Option 2

Postal Applications

*Send your completed Applications and Passport Photo’s via mail to the Security Management Identification Unit, Level 2 Sydney Police Centre, 151-241 Goulburn Street Surry Hill, NSW 2010.

*Please Supply at Least (2) Passport Photo’s. Passport Photo’s can be obtained from selected Australia Post Retail outlets.

*Verification of $5 Administration fee paid. (Important!)

*The Security Management ID Unit will register your application and forward documentation to the Criminal Records Section and Security Vetting Unit to commence the probity checks.

Upon receipt of a favourable vetting check, the Professional Standards Command will conduct suitability checks and notify the SMU of the outcome.

The SMU will then produce the Retired Identification Card and arrange for postage via registered mail to the successful applicant. Unsuccessful applicants will be notified via email.

What do I need to do?

To expedite the process, applicants are encouraged to have certified copies of their identification to accompany the P799.

Applicants must have three (3) types of acceptable identification from the list below. Identification must be current and should include at least one type of photographic ID and identification that contains a signature and date of birth. Acceptable types of identification are:

PassportDriver's LicenceCertificate of Marriage or Change of NameGovernment issued identity card
Birth CertificateCitizenship CertificateMedicare / Private health care cardCredit card
Student identity cardUnion / Professional membership cardSenior Citizen / Government concession cardRates notice
Government issued licencePhotographic employee identity cardUtility account (e.g. electricity, gas, telephone)Government issued proof of age card

Who can certify my documents?

  • An accountant (member of a recognised professional accounting body or a Registered Tax Agent).
  • A person listed on the roll of the Supreme Court of a State or Territory or the High Court of Australia as a legal practitioner.
  • A barrister, solicitor or patent attorney.
  • A police officer.
  • A postal manager.
  • A principal of an Australian secondary college, high school or primary school.
  • A medical practitioner.
  • A Justice of the Peace (with a registration number in the State in which they are registered).
  • A minister of religion (registered under Subdivision A of Division 1 of Part IV of the Marriage Act 1961).

The certified copy must include the statement "I certify that this is a true copy of the original document". The certifier must also include their full name, signature, date, registration number (if any) and qualification or occupation which makes them eligible to certify documents, on each of the photocopied identification documents.