There are a few requirements you need to meet to be eligible for a Class 1 licence.
- You need to be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, a permanent resident or have a visa that allows you to work in Australia. This does not include student or working holiday visas
- You need to be at least 18 years old
- If you are a temporary resident, you must provide a Police Clearance Certificate for every country you've lived in for more than 12 months outside of Australia in the past 10 years since you were 16 years old. If necessary, it must be translated into English, have been issued within the past 12 months and must be verified by that country's consulate or embassy in Australia
- You must have completed and passed the security licence course through a SLED-approved Registered Training Organisation. For more information about Approved Organisations click here
- You need a NSW driver’s licence or Transport for NSW (RMS) customer number.
If you have a criminal record, it could affect your eligibility. You’re not eligible for a NSW security licence if you have been:
- Convicted of a prescribed criminal offence in the past 10 years
- Found guilty of a prescribed criminal offence in the past five years, with no conviction recorded (click here for more information about prescribed criminal offences)
- Had a civil penalty imposed on you in the past five years
- Been removed or dismissed from the NSW Police Force, or any other police force in Australia or overseas.
SLED may also refuse your application if:
- You have provided false or misleading information to SLED
- You didn't provide all the required documentation with your application
- Granting your application would not be in the public interest, for example, if SLED believes the licence will be improperly used, or that improper conduct is likely to occur if the licence is approved
- You are linked to past or current criminal activity or criminal investigations
- You are not considered to be a fit and proper person to hold a security licence. Your personal and criminal history is taken into account when making this decision.
See the Am I Eligible For a NSW Security Licence Fact Sheet for more information.