This permit is for a person who can establish that they have a genuine reason to possess and use a silencer.
NOTE: A silencer is classified as a prohibited weapon under the Weapons Prohibition Act 1998. When a silencer is attached to a firearm, the firearm is classified as a prohibited firearm. Clause 126 of the Firearms Regulation 2017 provides an exemption from the requirement to obtain a prohibited firearm permit in circumstances where the person is the holder of a firearms licence and is authorised by a prohibited weapon permit to possess and use a silencer.
- FACT Sheet Silencer (PDF)
The application and genuine reason forms are interactive. You must complete both forms, then print and return both forms with any requested documentation to the Firearms Registry, Locked Bag 1, Murwillumbah NSW 2484.
- Application Form P638 (PDF)
- Genuine Reason Form Silencer (PDF)
- Supplementary Guide for Applicants (PDF)
- P639 Application Form (PDF)
If this application is for a business, please complete the Business Declaration and return this with your application.
- Business Declaration (PDF)
- Additional Information for a Prohibited Weapon Permit for use of a Silencer (PDF)
- Letter of Authority - Using a Prohibited Firearm with Silencer (PDF)
- Information regarding Importing Silencers (PDF)
- Safe Storage Prohibited Weapons Levels 1, 2 & 3 (PDF)
- Prescribed Safe Storage for Prohibited Weapons (PDF)
- 100 Point Identification (PDF)
- Fee Schedule (PDF)