Are you moving to NSW?
If you are an interstate firearms licence holder moving to NSW, you must apply for a firearms licence in this State AND register all your firearms to your NSW firearms licence.
You can apply for a NSW firearm licence online via the NSW Police Force Community Portal.
To apply online, you will need:
- A MyServiceNSW Account
- Proof of identity documents (e.g. Driver licence and Birth Certificate) - Note: the name on your proof of identity documents must be exactly the same as the name on your Service NSW account
- Your interstate firearm licence number, expiry date and State/Territory of issue
- Details of any firearms in your possession, including a P558 Register a Firearm in Possession form completed by a NSW licensed firearms dealer
- Supporting documentation for your genuine reason/s for your NSW firearm licence
- If you are applying for a firearms licence over and above a category A firearms licence, you will need to provide evidence of a ‘special need’. Select a reason from the options provided which most closely describes your special need to possess or use the selected firearm category
- A current credit card (Visa or Mastercard) for payment, if applicable
The fact sheet below provides additional information in relation to interstate residents moving to NSW.
- Fact sheet - Interstate Residents moving to NSW (PDF)
Are you moving interstate?
To hold a firearms licence in NSW, you must be a resident of NSW.
If you move interstate, you must obtain a firearms licence in your new state of residence AND register all your firearms to your interstate licence.
If you move interstate and obtain a firearms licence in your new State of residence but want to continue storing your firearms in NSW, please refer to the information provided below under the heading “Are you the holder of an interstate firearms licence and wish to store firearms in NSW?”.
Are you the holder of an interstate firearms licence and wish to store firearms in NSW?
An interstate resident who is authorised to possess and use firearms in their state of residence can apply to store firearms registered to their interstate firearms licence in NSW on a permanent basis. The following link will direct you to a webpage which contains application forms and further information relating to this permit.
Exemption - Persons Posted Outside NSW (ADF, Police and Public Servants)
The Fact Sheet below provides information and conditions of the exemption:
Exemption Notification Forms: