Firearms clubs in NSW are administered by the Firearms Registry under the following legislation:
The Commissioner exercises the authority under Part 9 of the Firearms Regulation 2017 in determining whether to issue a Firearms club approval and the conditions which may be imposed.
Following the club's inaugural general meeting of members, application is made for a firearms club approval by the club secretary or other relevant office holder if there is no secretary.
- FORM P641 Application for Approval of a Target Shooting, Hunting, Pistol or Collecting Club (PDF)
- FORM P642 Firearm Club Executive Nomination / Update Form (PDF)
- FORM Business Declaration (PDF)
- FACT Sheet Instructions for Completing an Application for a Club Approval (PDF)
- Club Approvals - Annual Returns Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Approval of 'Other Bodies' for Category C Clay Target Shooting (PDF)
If the Club then wishes to acquire guns for use by Club members on an approved range, application is made for a club firearms licence by the club secretary or a nominated club member as the licence holder.
You can apply for a Club firearms licence online via the NSW Police Community Portal.
To apply online, the licence holder will need:
- A MyServiceNSW Account
- Proof of identity documents (e.g. Driver licence and Birth Certificate) - Note: the name on your proof of identity documents must be exactly the same as the name on your Service NSW account
- Your firearms licence number
- Supporting documentation for the club’s Genuine Reason/s
- If applying for a firearms licence over and above a category A firearms licence, evidence of a ‘special need’ is required. Select from the options provided which most closely describes the special need to possess or use the selected firearm category
- A current credit card (Visa or Mastercard) for payment
For further information please refer to the following FACT Sheets:
- Fact sheet - Business Club or Government Agency Online Firearm Licence Application (PDF)
- Fact sheet - Sport / Target Shooting Genuine Reason (PDF)
- Fact sheet - Recreational Hunting / Vermin Control Genuine Reason (PDF)