The firearms legislation sets out your responsibilities as a firearms owner in relation to safe storage.
Different categories of licence require different levels of safe storage.
However, across all licences and permit categories, the legislation provides that any person who possesses a firearm must take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the firearm:
- Is kept safe;
- Is not lost or stolen; and
- Does not come into the possession of a person who is not authorised to possess the firearm.
Undertake the Safe Storage Assessment Tool
Are you taking all reasonable precautions to ensure your firearms are not stolen?
Transportation and Ammunition
Firearms Level 1 and Level 2
- Safe Storage Level One - Category A & B Requirements (PDF)
- Safe Storage Level Two - Category C, D & H Requirements (PDF)
Firearms Collector - Level 9
Firearms Dealer, Theatrical Armourer, Club Armourer - Level 7
- Firearms Dealer Safe Storage Level Seven - Premises & Safes (PDF)
- Firearms Dealer Safe Storage Level Seven - Display & Registers (PDF)
Security Firm - Levels 3, 4, 5 & 6
- Safe Storage Security Firms Level Three - One Firearm Only (PDF)
- Safe Storage Security Firms Level Four - 2-5 Firearms (PDF)
- Safe Storage Security Firms Level Five - 6-15 Firearms (PDF)
- Safe Storage Security Firms Level Six - Over 15 Firearms (PDF)
- Safe Storage Schedule 1 Prohibited Weapons Level 1, 2 & 3 (PDF)
- Prescribed Safe Storage Levels for Schedule 1 Prohibited Weapons (PDF)
Prohibited Weapons Dealer & Theatrical Armourer - Level 7
- Safe Storage Level Seven Prohibited Weapons Dealer & Theatrical Armourer - Premises & Safes (PDF)
- Safe Storage Level Seven Prohibited Weapons Dealer & Theatrical Armourer - Display & Registers (PDF)