In an Emergency

In an emergency, call Triple Zero (000).

For non-urgent police assistance, contact the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.

For non-urgent assistance in Floods, Storms, and Tsunamis, contact the NSW State Emergency Service on 132 500.

For information on Bushfires, Total Fire Bans, and fire related safety information, contact the NSW Rural Fire Service Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 NSW RFS (1800 679 737).

During very significant emergencies, the NSW Police Force establish the Public Information and Inquiry Centre (PIIC), which can be contacted on 1800 227 228 for emergency information and to get in touch with family members who have been evacuated.

If you have been evacuated and expect to not be able to return home for some time, for example during a bushfire or flood, register your details on the Red Cross’ Register. Find. Reunite. system so family members and emergency services know you are safe, and to inform potential recovery assistance.

Emergency Information

Many organisations have online publications and apps to help you stay across developing and occurring emergencies:

NSW RFS Fires Near Me

NSW SES Hazard Watch

NSW Weather Warnings

Live Traffic NSW

Emergency Plus

Department of Primary Industries

Emergency Services Organisations

Emergency Services Organisations are defined under the State Emergency and Rescue Management (SERM) Act 1989 (NSW), which includes the NSW Police Force and the following organisations:

NSW Ambulance

Fire and Rescue NSW

NSW Rural Fire Service

NSW State Emergency Service

Surf Life Saving NSW

Marine Rescue NSW

VRA Rescue NSW

In addition to above organisations, other organisations may be classed as emergency services organisations if they are covered by the below categories: (s. 3(1) SERM Act):

  • A fire brigade within the meaning of the Fire & Rescue NSW Act 1989 (NSW),
  • An agency that manages or controls an accredited rescue unit, and;
  • A non-government agency that is prescribed by the regulations for the purposes of this definition.