Below is a fact sheet regarding what to do if you locate straying stock on a public road and the role of the NSW Police Force during these situations.

If you come across straying livestock on a public road, your first point of contact should be your local council or Local Land Services. These agencies are the appropriate Local Authorities and have staff trained to handle livestock, the necessary equipment and access to relevant databases to contain livestock and identify the owners.

If you are unable to make contact with these agencies, please call your local police. The responsibility of the NSW Police Force during these situations is to protect people from injury and property from damage. Our general duty police are not trained to move livestock and do not have the relevant equipment.

If you are an owner of livestock, you have a responsibility to ensure your stock do not stray onto a public road. If your livestock stray and contribute to a motor vehicle accident, you may be charged with a criminal offence.

This fact sheet has been created to raise awareness of 'what you should do if you encounter straying stock on public roads' and to reduce straying stock incidents.

Straying Stock Fact Sheet

Infographics - new rules for animals

Factsheet - new rules for animals