- Install security software and update it regularly.
- Turn on automatic updates so that all your software receives the latest fixes.
- Get a stronger password and change it at least twice a year.
- Stop and think before you click on links or attachments.
- Stop and think before you share any personal or financial information - about yourself, your friends or family.
- Know what your children are doing online. Make sure they know how to stay safe and encourage them to report anything suspicious.
This comprehensive Australian Government site provides information on many issues dealing with internet safety, from spam and scams to cyberbullying and internet banking.
Please visit www.staysmartonline.gov.au for further advice and information.
If you've been the victim of cybercrime, you can report this to ReportCyber. The ReportCyber is a national policing initiative of the Commonwealth, State and Territory governments.
It is a national online system that allows the public to securely report instances of cybercrime. It will also provide advice to help people recognise and avoid common types of cybercrime. Visit https://www.cyber.gov.au