If you’re already a licensed security operative in another Australian state or territory, your licence may be recognised in NSW.

The Australian Government’s JobPass scheme, also known as Automatic Mutual Recognition of Occupational Registration (AMR), will not apply to people wishing to work in security roles in NSW.

SLED has sought and been granted a five-year exemption, effective from 1 July 2022, to the AMR legislation. Interstate licence holders can continue to apply for a NSW licence under the standard mutual recognition scheme.

Individuals who hold an interstate security licence may apply for the equivalent NSW licence in accordance with the requirements of the Commonwealth Mutual Recognition legislation.

SLED will contact the interstate licensing body to verify the statements or information provided in the application. SLED may grant or refuse the application, or postpone a decision for up to 6 months, in accordance with the Commonwealth legislation.

Security licence holders from New Zealand may also apply to have equivalent licences recognised.

To have your security licence recognised under mutual recognition legislation you need to apply and pay the applicable fees.

You are not eligible for a NSW licence under mutual recognition legislation if you have previously had a NSW security licence revoked.

Only security businesses registered as individual entities are eligible to be mutually recognised in NSW. Corporations cannot be mutually recognised.

For more information see the Mutual Recognition (New South Wales) Act 1992 and the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition (New South Wales) Act 1996 and their associated regulations.

You can apply to have your security licence mutually recognised in NSW by filling out the P608 Mutual Recognition application form (PDF) and posting it to SLED.

Please note: if you own a security business in another Australian state or territory and provide security services to NSW clients you will need to have a NSW security Master licence. Any security operatives you provide or employ to carry out these services will also need to hold a NSW security licence.