There are a few requirements you need to meet to be eligible for a Master licence.

  • You need to be an Australian or New Zealand citizen, a permanent resident or have a visa that allows you to work in Australia, excluding student and working holiday visas
  • You need to be at least 18 years old
  • If you are a temporary resident, you must provide a Police Clearance Certificate for every country you've lived in for more than 12 months outside of Australia in the past 10 years since you were 16 years old. If necessary, it must be translated into English, have been issued within the past 12 months and must be verified by that country's consulate or embassy in Australia
  • You need an Australian Business Number (ABN)
  • If you are self-employed you must also hold a valid Class 1 and/or Class 2 security licence

Corporations must ensure their business name is registered to an ABN and that a copy of their business name certificate is included in the application.

Please note: if you intend to provide Class 1D (dog handler) or 1F (armed guard) security operatives you must have and maintain at least $10 million in public liability insurance cover.

Trusts are not eligible to apply for a master licence as the NSW security industry legislation does not recognise a trust as a legal entity. Where a corporation applying for a Master licence acts as a trustee for a trust, the application for the Master licence must provide the ABN issued to the corporation (not the trust).

If you, or any of your close associates have a criminal record, it could affect your eligibility. You’re not eligible for a NSW security licence if you or any of your close associates have been:

  • Convicted of a prescribed criminal offence in the past 10 years
  • Found guilty of a prescribed criminal offence in the past five years, with no conviction recorded (click here for more information about prescribed criminal offences)
  • Had a civil penalty imposed on you in the past five years
  • Removed or dismissed from the NSW Police Force, or any other police force in Australia or overseas.

SLED may also refuse your application if:

  • You, or the nominated person, have provided false or misleading information to SLED
  • You, or the nominated person, do not provide the required documentation with your application
  • Granting the licence would not be in the public interest, eg if SLED believes the licence will be improperly used, or that improper conduct is likely to occur if the licence is approved
  • You, or any of your close associates, are linked to past or current criminal activity or criminal investigations
  • You, or the nominated person, are not considered to be a fit and proper person to hold a security licence. Your personal and criminal history is taken into account when making this decision.

See the Am I Eligibile For a NSW Security Licence factsheet for more information.