The performance of security activities in New South Wales is governed by the Security Industry Act 1997 and Security Industry Regulation 2016. These laws, which came into effect in July 1998, have been designed with the clear intention of providing the community of New South Wales with confidence in a professional security industry where competency through training, integrity and accountability are provided and maintained to a high standard.
All Security Industry licences are issued by the Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate (SLED).
For further information on obtaining security industry licenses refer to:
Security Industry Firearm Licences
The Training and Accreditation Framework for Armed Guards covers the standards, conditions, and requirements for the approval of security instructors and employers, as well as detailing the application, training and assessment activities for provisional and non-provisional category H (business/employment) licensees.
All security firm employers, instructors and guards must ensure they are fully aware of their role and responsibilities including all training and assessment requirements as outlined by the framework.
Firearms Safety Test
In 2023, the Firearms Registry introduced the Firearms Safety Test, establishing clear performance and safety evidence requirements, for all applicants for a security industry firearms licence.
Once approved, security firm employers and instructors will be provided the current Firearms Safety Test format. A sample can be accessed here.
Firearms Safety Training Course (Annual Accreditation)
In 2023, the Firearms Registry also introduced new requirements for the annual accreditation of armed security guards. From June 2024, all annual accreditations must be completed in the form of the Firearms Safety Training Course. Once Approved, security firm employers and instructors will be provided the current Firearms Safety Training Course format. A sample of the FSTC can be accessed here.
Security Firm Approved Employers
For approval to employ provisional armed security guards in New South Wales and to gain access to the relevant training and assessment materials, employers are required to fill out the Approved Employer Application form and submit it to the Firearms Registry for evaluation. This application form will soon be made available and distributed to all armed security firms.
How to Apply for a Licence
Your application must contain all documents and attachments as outlined by the Training and Accreditation Framework for Armed Guards
To attain a firearms licence to employ or work as an armed security guard you can apply online via the NSW Police Force Community Portal
- To maintain authority, approved master licensees must submit a revised application in the approved form prior to 1 March 2024.
- New provisional category H (business/employment) licence applications from 1 March 2024 must be submitted in accordance with the requirements contained within this framework.
- Category H (business/employment) licence applications from individuals who have previously held this or an equivalent licence from 1 June 2024 must be submitted in accordance with the requirements contained within this framework.
- New category H (business/employment) licence applications from 1 July 2024 must be submitted in accordance with the requirements contained within this framework.
- Firearms safety training course accreditations must be submitted in the approved form effective from 1 June 2024. From this date, previously accepted forms of the annual reaccreditation will no longer be accepted.
- All Firearms security instructor applications and reapplications from 1 April 2024 must be submitted in accordance with the requirements contained within this framework.
- Firearms Safety Training Course (Sample)
- Firearms Safety Test (Sample)
- Statement of Employment form
- Approved Employer form
- Fact sheet - Safe Storage Security Firms - One firearm (PDF)
- Fact sheet - Safe Storage Security Firms - 2 - 5 firearms (PDF)
- Fact sheet - Safe Storage Security Firms - 6 - 15 firearms (PDF)
- Fact sheet - Safe Storage Security Firms - Over 15 firearms (PDF)
- Fact sheet - Security Firm Employee Permit (PDF)
- Fact sheet - Imitation Firearm Security Training Permit (PDF)