The performance of security activities in New South Wales is governed by the Security Industry Act 1997 and Security Industry Regulation 2016. These laws, which came into effect in July 1998, have been designed with the clear intention of providing the community of New South Wales with confidence in a professional security industry where competency through training, integrity and accountability are provided and maintained to a high standard.

All Security Industry licences are issued by the Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate (SLED).

For further information on obtaining security industry licenses refer to:

Security Industry Firearm Licences

What do I need if I want to be an armed Security Guard?

In order to work as an armed security guard you must hold a 1F licence issued under the Security Industry Act 1997 to allow you to carry out prescribed activities as a security guard.

To attain a firearms licence to work as an armed security guard you can apply online at Service NSW:

To complete your online application you will need:

  • A MyServiceNSW Account linked to NSW Police Force
  • Your current security licence details
  • Supporting documents for your Genuine Reason, eg. proof of employment letter, current accreditation course certificate, etc.
  • A credit card for payment of the licence fee

If you have already undergone the Provisional Licensing Scheme or you have previously held either a Category H (Business/Employment) Licence or the equivalent interstate Category H (Business/Employment) Licence within the last 3 years, you may not be required to under the Provisional Licensing Scheme.

Provisional Licensing Scheme

On 1 November 2012 the Firearms Act 1996 introduced a Provisional Licensing Scheme requiring new entrants to the armed security industry to be engaged by an 'Approved Master Licensee' and carry out armed security activities under the authority of a Provisional Pistol (Business/Employment) Licence. The following FACT Sheet provides information on the requirements for obtaining this licence:

  • FACT Sheet - Provisional Pistol (Business/Employment) Licence (PDF) - Under Review

What do I need to operate a Security Business?

To operate as a security business you must hold a Master Security Licence issued under the provisions of the Security Industry Act 1997. To allow the acquisition of firearms for use by armed security guards employed by the business, the Master business licence holder must make application for a business firearms licence.

You can apply for a business firearms licence online at Service NSW:

To complete an online business firearms licence application you will need:

  • A MyServiceNSW Account linked to the NSW Police Force
  • Firearms Safety Training Certificate
  • Supporting documents for your Genuine Reason and Special Need
  • A credit card for payment of the licence fee

Before approval is given to a security firm to use firearms in connection with their business, an assessment of the business is conducted to ensure a genuine reason exists for the possession and use of firearms, to authorise the activities for which those firearms can be used and the number of firearms needed.

Master Licensees seeking to become an Approved Employer of Provisional Pistol (Business/Employment) Licensees

From 1 November 2012, licensed security firms providing uniformed armed security services may apply to become an approved Master Licensee for the purpose of employing Provisional Pistol (Business/Employment) Licence holders. The following document provides the application requirements:

Maintenance of Firearms

Clause 88 of the Firearms Regulation 2017 provides that firearms registered to a security firm for use by armed guards must be inspected once every 3 months by a competent person and service at least once a year by a licensed firearms dealer who is qualified to service the firearm concerned.

A 'competent person' for the purpose of inspection to determine that a firearm belonging to a security firm is in good working condition would be considered to be a licence holder who has held a firearms licence for a minimum of three years or a firearms dealer, including a theatrical or club armourer.