Permits are issued where a legitimate reason exists, but the reason or firearm falls outside the requirements of the licensing scheme.

Here are two examples:

  • A licence can only be issued to a person who is 18 years of age or over. Therefore, if a person under 18 years of age wishes to possess and use a firearm, they cannot be issued with a licence, but they may make application for a Minor's Permit.
  • A NSW firearms licence can only be issued to a person who is a resident of NSW, or about to become a resident of NSW. When an overseas visitor wishes to participate in a shooting competition in NSW, they must obtain an Overseas Competitor Permit in order to lawfully possess and use a firearm in NSW.

The Firearms Act 1996 provides for specific types of permits such as Minor's, Tranquillisers, Overseas Competitors, Large Calibre Pistols, RSL Display, Museum, Theatrical Armourer etc. Additionally, a permit authorising the possession and use of firearms can also be issued in such circumstances as the Commissioner considers appropriate.