Driver stopped for speeding 45km/h over limit now charged with drug, weapon offences - New England PD
Monday, 13 December 2021 11:53:28 AM
A man will face court today after he was caught allegedly exceeding the speed limit by more than 45km/h in the state’s Northern Tablelands yesterday.
About 10.20am (Sunday 12 December 2021), officers attached to New England Highway Patrol stopped a black Holden Commodore on the New England Highway, about 19km south of Glen Innes, for allegedly exceeding the speed limit.
The driver – a 30-year-old man – was subjected to a roadside drug test, allegedly returning a positive result.
Following checks, it was revealed the man was also disqualified from driving.
Officers searched the vehicle, where they located and seized, a bag of a substance believed to be methylamphetamine (ice), a sword, prescription medication, cash and drug paraphernalia and mobile phones.
The man was arrested and taken to Glen Innes Police Station and charged with
- Possess prohibited drug
- supply prohibited drug
- drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous
- obtain/attempt to prescribed restricted substance
- drive vehicle, illicit drug present in blood
- drive motor vehicle during disqualification period
- class A motor vehicle exceed speed more than 45 km/h
- custody of knife in public place, and
- recklessly deal with proceeds of crime.
He was refused bail to appear at Armidale Local Court today (Monday 13 December 2021).