Man charged after carjacking; aggravated sexual assault - Narrandera
Wednesday, 03 November 2021 08:17:27 AM
A man has been charged over the alleged aggravated sexual assault of a woman following a carjacking in the state’s south yesterday.
Police were told about 3pm on Tuesday (2 October 2021), a 26-year-old man attended a medical centre on Victoria Square, Narrandera – about 100km west of Wagga Wagga – and demanded prohibited drugs from staff.
When staff refused, the man allegedly became verbally abusive and threatened the employees, before leaving the centre and entering a nearby vehicle.
The man demanded the female driver take him toward a boat ramp on Old Narrandera Road, where he then allegedly sexually assaulted her.
A short time later, the woman – aged in her 50s – alerted passers-by, who assisted her.
The man drove the car from the scene, crashing through a gate on a nearby property on Old Narrandera Road, before parking the vehicle near the Murrumbidgee River.
Officers attached to Murrumbidgee Police District were notified and attempted to remove the man from the vehicle, when he allegedly spat at two constables.
He was arrested and taken to Narrandera Police Station, while the woman was taken to Wagga Wagga Base Hospital for assessment.
Multiple crime scenes were subsequently established and forensically examined.
The Leeton man was charged with nine offences including;
- demand property with menaces with intent to steal,
- stalk/intimidate intend fear physical harm,
- unlawfully take/drive motor vehicle with person in/on it,
- aggravated sex assault (deprive liberty),
- assault officer in execution of duty (x2),
- destroy or damage property,
- learner not accompanied by driver/police officer/tester, and,
- learner driver not display "L" plates as prescribed.
He was refused bail to appear at Wagga Wagga Local Court today (Wednesday 3 November 2021).