Man charged with driving offences following pursuit in stolen vehicle - Burwood
Friday, 12 November 2021 11:14:39 AM
A man will appear in court today after he allegedly crashed into a bus and parked car following a short pursuit in a stolen vehicle in Sydney’s Inner West yesterday.
Just before 10am (Thursday 11 November 2021), officers attached to Burwood Police Area Command attempted to stop a black Kia Stinger travelling along the Hume Highway at Enfield, after observing a cardboard number plate affixed to the vehicle.
The driver allegedly failed to stop as directed, and a pursuit was initiated to Burwood Road, Burwood, where it was terminated a short time later.
The vehicle then crashed into a bus and parked car before coming to a stop.
The driver of the vehicle – a 37-year-old man – fled the scene on foot, jumping over a number of neighbouring fences.
Police located the man nearby a short time later. He was arrested and taken to Burwood Police Station.
Further checks revealed the vehicle had allegedly been stolen from a home in Canberra in April this year.
The man was subsequently charged with 11 offences including:
- drive recklessly/furiously or speed/ manner dangerous,
- drive motor vehicle while licence suspended,
- not give particulars to owner of damaged property,
- not give particulars to other driver,
- enter enclosed land not prescribed premises without lawful excuse (x2), and
- use class A vehicle with unauthorised number plate affixed.
He was refused bail and will appear at Burwood Local Court today (Friday 12 November 2021).