Third man charged as investigations into street-level drug syndicate continue - Illawarra
Tuesday, 07 September 2021 10:08:45 AM
Detectives have charged a third man and seized a luxury vehicle as investigations into a street-level drug supply syndicate in the Illawarra continue.
In December 2020, Strike Force Axon was established by detectives from the State Crime Command’s Drug and Firearms Squad, with assistance from Lake Illawarra and Wollongong Police Districts, to investigate the supply of prohibited drugs in the Illawarra.
As part of the investigation, strike force detectives, assisted by officers from the Australian Federal Police (AFP), executed several search warrants at homes across the region last Friday (3 September 2021).
Two men, aged 28 and 50, were charged over their alleged involvement in the syndicate and remain before the courts.
Following further inquiries, officers from Lake Illawarra Police District stopped a Mercedes GLE 53 at Shellharbour about 10am yesterday (Monday 6 September 2021).
The vehicle, which is suspected to have been purchased using the proceeds of crime, was seized by investigators.
Police spoke with the driver of the Mercedes, a 27-year-old Oak Flats woman, before she was released pending further inquiries.
About 1pm, strike force detectives arrested a 23-year-old man at Wollongong, before taking him to Wollongong Police Station, where he was charged with:
- supply prohibited drug above commercial less than indicatable quantity (x3)
- supply cannabis above indictable less than commercial quantity (x2)
- Supply prohibited drugs on an ongoing basis
- Supply prohibited drug above commercial quantity
- knowingly deal with proceeds of crime intent to conceal
- participate criminal group contribute criminal activity
- counts of driver use mobile phone when not permitted (x10)
- Supply prohibited drug above indictable amount (x8)
The Wollongong man was refused bail to appear at Wollongong Local Court today (Tuesday 7 September 2021).
Investigations under Strike Force Axon continue.
Anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Axon investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report information via NSW Police social media pages.