Man charged after alleged taxi carjacking and pursuit - Central Coast
Friday, 20 August 2021 07:19:00 PM
A man has been charged after allegedly carjacking a taxi and engaging in a police pursuit on the Central Coast.
About 6.10pm yesterday (Thursday 19 August 2021), a 36-year-old man was picked up by a taxi in Wyong before heading to Hill Street, Gorokan.
The 36-year-old allegedly threatened the 61-year-old taxi driver with a hammer and demanded the keys.
A struggle ensued between the pair before the younger man fled into a nearby house.
He then allegedly threatened a couple inside and demanded the keys to a van parked outside, before a 73-year-old woman threw a glass of water at him and he fled out a rear door.
The man then approached a Hyundai i30, which had stopped to assist the taxi driver, and attempted to open the driver’s side door, before the 19-year-old female driver drove away.
The 36-year-old then re-entered the taxi and fled the scene.
Officers from Tuggerah Lakes Police District attended and established a crime scene.
The taxi driver was not physically injured during the incident.
About half an hour later, officers from Brisbane Water Traffic and Highway Patrol observed the taxi travelling south on the M1 at Morisset.
Police initiated a pursuit, before deploying road spikes south of the Bushells Ridge Road overpass in Kiar.
The taxi then crashed into a marked police vehicle and rolled several times.
The driver was arrested and taken to John Hunter Hospital for observation. He was released later today and subsequently charged with nine offences including;
- Aggravated break and enter commit serious indictable offence,
- aggravated take/drive motor vehicle with person in/on it-armed with weapon,
- attempt unlawful take/drive motor vehicle with person in/on it,
- learner not accompanied by driver/police officer/tester,
- police pursuit - not stop - drive recklessly,
- drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous,
- negligent driving,
- class A m/v exceed speed > 45 km/h, and
- not comply with noticed direction re s 7/8/9 - COVID-19.
He was refused bail to appear at Newcastle Bail Court tomorrow (Saturday 21 August 2021).