Two men charged as inquiries continue into altercation at Auburn

Monday, 02 August 2021 03:22:42 PM

Two men have been charged and $10,000 cash seized following an incident in Sydney’s south west at the weekend.

About 11.10pm on Saturday (31 July 2021), officers from Auburn Police Area Command’s Proactive Crime Team were patrolling Mclean Street, Auburn, when they approached a Nissan R50, which was parked illegally with two men sitting inside and the internal light on.

The driver and passenger – aged 29 and 28 – exited the vehicle before the younger man fled on foot.

One officer detained the older man, while another officer pursued the younger man on foot, running into the backyard of a house on Mary Street.

When the male constable attempted to speak to the man, two male occupants of the home – aged 31 and 60 –approached the officer in an aggressive manner and threatened him.

The officer requested the men step back on multiple occasions, which they failed to do, before the officer deployed OC spray.

During the altercation, the officer backed out of the property and the gate was closed on him by the occupants, before being forced back open by police a short time later. During this time, it’s alleged the 28-year-old man fled the property.

The younger male occupant was arrested, while the older man was spoken to along with a number of other occupants.

Following further inquiries, including a search of the Nissan, police located $10,000 cash, which has been seized for further examination.

The 31-year-old man was charged with intimidate police officer in execution of duty, resist officer in execution of duty and resist or hinder police officer in the execution of duty.

He was granted conditional bail to appear at Burwood Local Court on Thursday 26 August 2021.

The 28-year-old man was arrested the following day (Sunday 1 August 2021) at Auburn Police Station.

He was charged with resist officer in execution of duty, not comply with noticed direction re section 7/8/9 – COVID-19 and fail to comply with any other wear face covering directive.

The man was refused bail and appeared at Burwood Local Court today (Monday 2 August 2021), where he was granted conditional bail to appear at the same court on Monday 13 September 2021.

The 29-year-old man was issued two $1000 Penalty Infringement Notices for breaches of the Public Health Orders.

Investigations into the incident are continuing.

Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report crime via NSW Police social media pages.