High-visibility police operation concludes - Sydney CBD

Saturday, 31 July 2021 04:54:50 PM

More than 250 Penalty Infringement Notices have been issued following a high-visibility police operation across Sydney.

Earlier today (Saturday 31 July 2021), a high-visibility policing operation was launched across Sydney and surrounding suburbs, to ensure compliance with the public health orders and the safety of the community and local businesses.

More than 1300 police, including general duties officers from across the Central Metropolitan Region, assisted by specialist police from the Public Order and Riot Squad (PORS), Operations Support Group (OSG), Police Transport Command, Traffic and Highway Patrol Command and the Mounted and Dog Unit, were involved in the operation.

Additionally, police issued a prohibition notice to taxi, rideshare and passenger services from conveying passengers to the Sydney CBD between 9am and 1.30pm, to restrict the movement of potential protesters.

During the operation, eight people were arrested.

Of note, a 45-year-old man, who was subject to a Public Safety Order (PSO), was arrested at a home at Oatley after travelling on trains outside his local government area without a reasonable excuse. He was taken to Kogarah Police Station, where charges will be laid.

More than 250 Penalty Infringement Notices were issued for breaches of the public health orders.

Metropolitan Field Operations Commander, Deputy Commissioner Mal Lanyon, thanked the majority of the community who continue to work with police and abide by the public health orders.

“NSW Police implemented and executed an extensive and robust high-visibility police operation that extended across the Sydney CBD and included a significant presence across major public transport routes and roads,” Deputy Commissioner Lanyon said.

“The vast majority of infringement notices were issued to individuals for breaching the stay at home orders by travelling outside their local government areas.

“Officers from across the Traffic and Highway Patrol and Police Transport Commands formed a defined barrier around the city, to monitor and prevent persons intent on travelling to the city to protest.

“More than 70,000 vehicles were checked by police at 11 designated traffic points stationed on major roads leading into the city centre, and 42 mobile units deployed across our roadways.

“NSW Police will continue to monitor and enforce the Public Health Order to ensure the safety of the wider community, and anyone intent on breaching these orders in the coming weeks should be prepared that police will take action.

“A further high-visibility operation is planned for tomorrow and officers will have an ongoing presence to ensure there are no further protests and that the community comply with the public health orders.

“Today’s activities demonstrate to the community that NSW Police will not tolerate actions that present a risk to public safety and our ability to stop the spread of COVID-19. We continue to ask the community to work with police to ensure compliance,” Deputy Commissioner Lanyon said.

Minister for Police and Emergency Services David Elliott said he was reassured that common sense had prevailed.

“It was always going to involve a small minority, but they’ve shown they care for their family and friends and realised this would have the opposite effect of ending lockdown,” Mr Elliott said.

“Every officer from the NSW Police Force should be assured that their efforts today have made Greater Sydney a safer place tonight.”

Police continue to appeal to the community to report suspected breaches of any public health order or behaviour which may impact on the health and safety of the community by contacting Crime Stoppers: https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence.