$1 million reward announced into the 2016 murder of Adrian Buxton
Wednesday, 28 April 2021 09:48:54 AM
The NSW Government, together with the NSW Police Force, has announced a $1 million reward for information into the 2016 shooting murder of Adrian Buxton.
Shortly after 9pm on Thursday 19 May 2016, police and emergency services were called to Coral Pea Court at Colyton, following reports a man had been shot.
On arrival, officers located Adrian Buxton – aged 31 – with gunshot wounds. He was treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics but died at the scene.
A crime scene was established and examined by specialist forensic and ballistics officers.
Detectives from the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad established Strike Force Thistleton to investigate his murder.
Police were told Mr Buxton was confronted by two men in his driveway and shot a number of times before the pair ran from the scene.
It is believed the pair fled the scene in a vehicle that picked them up a short distance from the home.
Following a review of CCTV in surrounding areas, detectives identified three vehicles travelling together in the area at the time of the murder.
In September 2016, police conducting a separate investigation seized a firearm during a search warrant at a home in Lime Street, Cabramatta. Two men were arrested and charged with firearm-related offences.
A subsequent ballistic examination linked the weapon to the murder of Mr Buxton.
Also around this time, strike force detectives located and seized one of the vehicles believed to have been in the area at the time of the murder. It was subject to forensic examination.
Minister for Police and Emergency Services, David Elliott, said the $1 million reward will provide a significant incentive to people to come forward and report to police.
“Mr Buxton was shot outside his home in suburbia at 9pm. This was a brazen and organised act which has no place on the streets of Sydney,” Mr Elliott said.
“I am optimistic that this reward will help detectives to obtain the evidence they need to bring someone to account for their criminal behaviour.”
Homicide Squad Commander, Detective Superintendent Danny Doherty, said Strike Force Thistleton detectives have seized significant physical and forensic evidence over the past five years.
“This has been a complex and protracted investigation that has seen detectives explore several lines of inquiry – collecting information from the public and other police inquiries.
“While one of the vehicles believed to have been involved in the incident was recovered in 2016, police are still seeking information on two others, including a black Audi Q7.
“We believe there were five or more people involved in this incident and detectives are urging anyone with information about the identities of those involved, as well as the planning and aftermath, to come forward.
“It has been a long five years for Adrian’s family, and we remain hopeful that we can provide much-needed answers to his mother, wife and young son,” Det Supt Doherty said.
Anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Thistleton detectives is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report crime via NSW Police social media pages.