Untitled

$1 million reward announced for information into 1994 disappearance of Revelle Balmain

Friday, 14 May 2021 11:29:36 AM

The NSW Government, together with the NSW Police Force, has announced a $1 million reward for information into the disappearance of Revelle Balmain more than 26 years ago.

Revelle Balmain, then aged 22, was last seen in the Kingsford area on Saturday 5 November 1994.

Her personal property – including a make-up bag, keys and a shoe – was later found scattered near Ainslie Street.

Ms Balmain was reported missing later that evening and has not been seen or heard from since.

Despite extensive investigations by local police at the time and over the years, no one has been charged in relation to her disappearance.

A Coronial Inquest in 1999 found that Revelle had died at the hands of a person or persons unknown, and the matter was referred to the Unsolved Homicide Unit for future investigation.

Last year, a formal review of the case was conducted under the new unsolved framework and assigned to a senior detective from the Central Metropolitan Region for re-investigation under Strike Force Aramac.

As inquiries continue, police are renewing their appeal to the community to come forward with any information that may assist detectives with their inquiries.

Minister for Police and Emergency Services, David Elliott, today announced the reward for information to solve the case had been lifted from $250,000 to $1 million.

“Ms Balmain was only 22-years-old, and her sudden disappearance has been deeply felt by her family and friends for more than 26 years,” Minister Elliott said.

“I am optimistic that the significant increase in the reward will help detectives obtain new information relating to Ms Balmain’s disappearance and hopefully hold someone to account.”

State Crime Command Director, Detective Chief Superintendent Darren Bennett, said the re-investigation into Revelle’s disappearance is being conducted by a senior detective with significant investigative experience.

“Over the years, the support from the community in the pursuit to locate Revelle Balmain and piece together her last movements has been very beneficial to police,” Det Ch Supt Bennett said.

“With fresh eyes now being cast over more than two decade’s worth of statements and intelligence reports, as well as physical and forensic evidence, it is our hope that justice will be found.”

Strike Force Aramac lead investigator, Detective Chief Inspector Stuart Bell, welcomed the reward and thanked the NSW Government and Homicide Squad for their ongoing support.

“Our team has been working on Revelle’s case for the past six months and have been utilising new forensic technology to review all available evidence,” Det Ch Insp Bell said.

“Revelle’s family has been campaigning for justice for more than 26 years and strike force detectives are determined to finally find the answers they are seeking.

“It is our hope that today’s reward will encourage those in the community – including Revelle’s friends and co-workers at the time – to come forward and speak with police, so we can hold those involved in her disappearance accountable,” Det Ch Insp Bell said.

Revelle’s sister, Suellen Simpson, said Revelle’s disappearance has caused immeasurable grief to her family for more than 26 years.

“For many years, our family worked tirelessly to find out what happened to my sister – but sadly both our mother and Revelle’s father, Ivor, passed away without ever knowing what happened to their little girl,” Ms Simpson said.

“Losing someone that is close to you – you’re never the same person again. I truly hope this reward will prompt someone to come forward with information that will help police find those responsible for Revelle’s disappearance.

“It is my personal hope that this reward may also help us find Revelle – so that I may finally put her to rest,” Ms Simpson said.

Anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Aramac detectives is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report information via NSW Police social media pages.