Man charged after allegedly ramming two police cars - Wollongong
Tuesday, 01 November 2022 10:56:53 AM
A man has been charged with traffic offences after he allegedly rammed two police cars in Wollongong yesterday.
About 10.20am (Monday 31 October 2022), officers attached to Wollongong Police District received reports of a silver Audi being driven recklessly on Mercury and Bligh Street, Wollongong.
Police attempted to stop the driver, when he allegedly collided with two police vehicles while attempting to flee the scene at the intersection of Gipps Road and William Street, Keiraville, causing damage to both. No police officers were injured during the incident.
OC spray was deployed, and a 36-year-old man was arrested and taken to Wollongong Hospital for treatment.
He has since been released from hospital and taken to Wollongong Police Station, where he was charged with six offences:
- Drive motor vehicle during disqualification period – second offence,
- Take and drive conveyance without consent of owner,
- Hinder or resist police officer in the execution of duty,
- Use etc offensive weapon to prevent lawful detention etc, and,
- Not give particulars to owner of damaged property (two counts).
He was refused bail to appear in Wollongong Local Court today (Tuesday 1 November).