Motorcyclist disqualified from riding until 2082 charged following pursuit - Lake Illawarra PD
Wednesday, 21 September 2022 11:19:01 AM
A man wanted on four outstanding arrest warrants and who is disqualified from riding until 2082 has been charged following an alleged pursuit in the Lake Illawarra region yesterday.
Just before 10pm (Tuesday 20 September 2022), officers attached to Southern Traffic and Highway Patrol Command – Illawarra Sector were conducting patrols along the Princes Highway, Unanderra, when they observed a black Suzuki GSX-R1000.
Police signalled for the rider to pull over; however, he allegedly failed to do stop and a pursuit was initiated.
It will be alleged the motorcycle reached speeds of up to 160km/h in an 80km/h sign-posted area, when the pursuit was terminated due to safety reasons.
Officers conducted patrols of the area and located the motorcycle on Kanahooka Road, Kanahooka.
The rider was located a short time later nearby on Hallam Close, before he was arrested after a short foot pursuit.
The 46-year-old man was taken to Wollongong Police Station where he allegedly provided police with false information.
Checks revealed he was disqualified from riding a motorcycle from 2001 until 2082. The motorcycle was also uninsured.
The man was charged with 10 offences:
- Police pursuit – not stop – drive at speed – second offence,
- Drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous – second offence,
- Class A motor vehicle exceed speed > 45 km/h – estimated,
- Driver or rider state false name or home address,
- Use unregistered registrable Class A motor vehicle on road,
- Use uninsured motor vehicle on road,
- Resist officer in execution of duty,
- Use class A vehicle displaying misleading etc number plate,
- Drive motor vehicle during disqualification period – second offence, and,
- Destroy or damage property.
Police will allege in court the number plate on the motorcycle was a clone, and that the correct registration expired in July 2020.
The Dubbo man was refused bail to appear in Wollongong Local Court today (Wednesday 21 September 2022).
The four outstanding warrants were also executed for alleged drug supply, assault, stealing, property and traffic offences in the Dubbo and Parramatta areas.