Two charged over alleged attempted robberies and police assault - Lake Illawarra PD
Wednesday, 31 August 2022 03:18:50 PM
A man and woman have been charged following an investigation into attempted robberies, as well as the assault of an officer, in the Lake Illawarra region yesterday.
Police were told a man and woman attended a home on Forster Street, Port Kembla, about 2.30pm yesterday (Tuesday 30 August 2022), where the man allegedly threatened the 43-year-old resident with a knife while demanding his car.
A scuffle ensued between the two men, with the homeowner suffering a minor laceration to his arm.
The man and woman fled on foot to a nearby home, where they allegedly attempted to steal a van as the driver was out of the vehicle delivering a parcel. The driver was then allegedly assaulted, before the man and woman fled on foot again.
Officers attached to Lake Illawarra Police District were notified and commenced inquiries into the incidents.
About 4.30pm the same day, it will be alleged the same man threatened a resident on Northcliffe Drive, Warrawong, while demanding his car.
Just before he got into the vehicle, police arrived on scene and went to arrest the man, before he allegedly pushed an officer in the chest and fled on foot.
A 19-year-old woman was arrested at the scene and taken to Lake Illawarra Police Station where she was charged with robbery armed with offensive weapon – serious indictable offence, assault occasioning actual bodily harm (domestic violence), and two counts of contravene prohibition/restriction in AVO (domestic).
Following inquiries, a 22-year-old man was located hiding in the roof of a home in Kotara Crescent, Unanderra, just before 6pm.
He was arrested and taken to Lake Illawarra Police Station where he was charged with eight offences, including:
- Assault with intent to rob armed with offensive weapon – serious indictable offence,
- Attempted aggravated assault with intent to rob and inflict actual bodily harm – serious indictable offence,
- Aggravated assault with intent to take/drive motor vehicle – armed with weapon,
- Assault occasioning actual bodily harm in company of other(s),
- Assault police officer in execution of duty without actual bodily harm,
- Detention application – arrest (two counts), and,
- Resist officer in execution of duty.
They were both refused bail to appear in Wollongong Local Court today (Wednesday 31 August 2022).