Untitled

Detectives renew appeal for information as investigations continue into Guildford double murder

Tuesday, 30 August 2022 03:35:42 AM

Homicide Squad detectives are renewing a public appeal as they continue to investigate the double murder of a father and son at Guildford last year.

Just before 9am on Wednesday 20 October 2021, emergency services were called to Osgood Street near Woodville Road, Guildford, after reports of a shooting.

Upon arrival, officers from Cumberland Police Area Command located two men – aged 18 and 64 – inside a vehicle suffering gunshot wounds.

The younger man died at the scene, while the older man was taken by NSW Ambulance paramedics to Westmead Hospital, where he later died.

They have since been formally identified as father and son, Toufik and Salim Hamzy.

Strike Force Ormerod was subsequently established by the State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad to further investigate the incident.

Inquiries have led investigators to seize two vehicles – a grey Ford Mustang and a burnt-out Lexus SUV – both believed to have been used as getaway vehicles in the murder, which have since undergone forensic examination.

It can now be revealed that two people have been charged with offences related to Strike Force Ormerod:

  • On Thursday 14 July 2022, detectives executed a search warrant at a home on Alton Street, Merrylands, where they arrested a 25-year-old man. He has been charged with accessory after the fact to murder and refused bail. He is next due to appear at Parramatta Local Court on Thursday 8 September 2022.
  • As part of ongoing inquiries with Strike Force Ormerod, a search warrant was executed at a Merrylands West home on Friday 15 July 2022, where officers seized a gel blaster. A 17-year-old boy was charged with possess unauthorised prohibited firearm, not keep firearm safely and possess unregistered firearm. He is next due to appear at a children’s court on Friday 30 September 2022.

Homicide Squad Commander, Detectives Superintendent Danny Doherty, said detectives are continuing to appeal to any person who may have seen the distinctive grey Ford Mustang or Lexus SUV prior to the murders.

“Following our last public appeal, detectives have since charged a man with accessory after the fact – this will not be the last arrest,” Det Supt Doherty said.

“Strike Force Ormerod detectives were out again yesterday, canvassing the Marayong, Granville and Yagoona areas, attempting to piece together the movements of both the Ford Mustang and the Lexus SUV prior to and following the shooting.


“To refresh everyone’s memory, the Mustang was parked near the intersection of Railway Street and Inkerman Street at Granville late on Tuesday 19 October, then moved to Murdock Lane at Guildford in preparation for the murder.

“Murdock Lane is also where the Lexus SUV was driven to and destroyed by fire immediately after the murder took place, so it is crucial that we continue to firm-up the movements and knowledge of these vehicles and appeal to anyone who may have seen any person with these vehicles in the days before Toufik and Salim were shot,” Det Supt Doherty said.

Anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Ormerod investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report information via NSW Police social media pages.