Disqualified driver charged over pursuits - Lake Illawarra
Thursday, 25 August 2022 02:02:48 PM
A man will face court today charged with traffic offences after two pursuits with police in the Lake Illawarra region last month.
Just after 10.30pm on Friday 15 July 2022, officers attached to Traffic and Highway Patrol Command – Traffic South Group Moss Vale attempted to stop a Holden Commodore after it was seen allegedly being driven in a dangerous manner on Russell Street, Albion Park.
The Holden failed to stop, and a pursuit was initiated and continued through Calderwood, where it will be alleged the vehicle was detected travelling at 80km/h in a 50km/h sign-posted area. The pursuit was terminated due to safety concerns.
About 12.30am the following day (Saturday 16 June 2022), the Holden was seen by police travelling on the Illawarra Highway at Macquarie Pass and again attempted to stop the vehicle.
The Holden failed to stop, and a pursuit was imitated before being terminated due to excess speed.
Following inquiries, officers attended a home on Guligal Road, Dapto, yesterday (Wednesday 24 August 2022), where they located the man hiding in a garage.
The 19-year-old man – who is disqualified from driving until 2024 - was arrested and taken to Lake Illawarra Police Station where he was charged with 15 offences;
- Police pursuit - not stop - drive recklessly (two counts),
- Drive motor vehicle during disqualification period (four counts),
- Use unregistered motor vehicle on road (three counts),
- Use uninsured motor vehicle (three counts),
- Negligent driving (no death or grievous bodily harm) (two counts), and
- Motor Vehicle exceed speed more than 30 km/h – Estimated.
He was refused bail to appear in Wollongong Local Court today (Thursday 25 August 2022).