Teenager charged after fatal single-vehicle crash - Northern Beaches
Monday, 30 October 2023 11:38:15 AM
A teenage boy has been charged following an investigation into a fatal single-vehicle crash on Sydney’s Northern Beaches earlier this month.
About 12.20am on Saturday 7 October 2023, emergency services were called to Cabbage Tree Road, Bayview, following reports a ute had left the road and hit a tree.
Officers from Northern Beaches Police Area Command arrived to find six boys with serious injuries.
The 17-year-old red P-plate driver was airlifted to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in a critical condition.
The passengers - three 17-year-old boys and two 16-year-old boys - were treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics taken to Royal North Shore Hospital, where one of the 16-year-olds died a short time later.
Specialist police from the Crash Investigation Unit commenced an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Following extensive inquiries, officers attended a home in Bayview and arrested a 17-year-old boy on Thursday 26 October 2023.
He was taken to Manly Police Station and charged with ten offences:
- Dangerous driving occasioning death
- Dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm – two counts
- Cause bodily harm by misconduct, in charge of motor vehicle – two counts
- Negligent driving (occasioning death)
- Negligent driving (occasions grievous bodily harm)
- Negligent driving (no death or grievous bodily harm)
- Learner/P1/P2 driver passengers (over 16) not wear seatbelts
- P1 driver younger than 25 drive at night with more than one passenger
He was granted strict conditional bail to appear at a children’s court on Wednesday 10 January 2023.
His licence was also suspended.
Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report information via NSW Police social media pages.