Man in court charged with 22 offences over alleged break-ins - Waratah West
Wednesday, 08 March 2023 03:45:14 PM
A Queensland man has been charged with 22 offences following an arrest near Newcastle yesterday.
About 6am (Tuesday 7 March 2023), police attended Acacia Avenue, Waratah West, as part of an investigation into an allegedly stolen vehicle.
Upon sighting police, an 18-year-old man allegedly fled the scene; however, he was arrested after a short foot pursuit.
The man was taken to Newcastle Police Station, where he was charged with 22 offences, including:
- seven counts of take and drive conveyance without consent of owner,
- two counts of aggravated break and enter dwelling etc in company intend steal,
- three counts of aggravated break and enter without knowing person there,
- two counts of aggravated break and enter and commit serious indictable offence - people there,
- two counts of be carried in conveyance taken without consent of owner,
- enter building/land with intent to commit indictable offence,
- possess housebreaking implements,
- damage property by fire,
- goods in personal custody suspected being stolen,
- custody of knife in public place, and
- never licensed person drive vehicle on road.
Police will allege in court the man, from Queensland, had broken into homes at Hamlyn Terrace, New Lambton, Merewether, Cameron Park, Randwick, Eleebana, and Valentine between January 2023 and March 2023.
He was refused bail to appear before Newcastle Local Court today (Wednesday 8 March 2023).
Inquiries are continuing.