Wanted man extradited to NSW from the NT

Wednesday, 01 February 2023 12:21:46 AM

A man wanted on two outstanding arrest warrants has been extradited to NSW after being arrested in the Northern Territory last week.

In October 2022, detectives attached to the State Crime Command’s Criminal Groups Squad commenced extensive inquiries to locate a 32-year-old man from Sydney’s west.

The man was wanted by virtue of two outstanding arrest warrants for breach of bail orders in relation to robbery and assault offences.

Police will allege the man removed his electronic monitoring device and entered an unknown vehicle on Coorabin Place, Riverwood, about 6.15am on Friday 21 October 2022, heading westbound on the M5 Motorway.

Since the time when NSW Police officers were notified, a significant operation commenced to locate him, utilising specialist police resources from NSW, interstate, and Commonwealth law enforcement partners, and also including several public appeals.

Following extensive inquiries, members of the Northern Territory Joint Organised Crime Taskforce (NT JOCTF) arrested the 32-year-old on board a yacht after Australian Border Force (ABF) officers conducted an outbound clearance of the vessel as it attempted to sail from Cullen Bay Marina in Darwin late Wednesday afternoon (25 January 2023).

NT JOCTF members found the man hiding in the hull when they boarded the vessel. It is alleged that he was in possession of false documents and a large sum of Australian currency.

The 32-year-old appeared before Darwin Local Court on Friday (27 January 2023), where police applied for and were granted his extradition to NSW.

Detectives from the State Crime Command’s Criminal Groups Squad travelled to Darwin and escorted the man to NSW, arriving at Sydney Airport about 6pm yesterday (Tuesday 31 January 2023).

The man was then escorted by Raptor Squad officers to Mascot Police Station, where he was charged with the outstanding warrants.

He has been bail refused to appear at Downing Centre Local Court today (Wednesday 1 February 2023).

Investigations are continuing, including identifying those who may have helped with the man’s departure from NSW and assisted him to avoid detection.

Further arrests are anticipated, with police reminding those who are involved in this type of activity that it is a criminal offence, and they will be charged.