Woman's charges upgraded after boy dies following serious crash - Central Coast
Sunday, 08 January 2023 06:22:35 PM
A woman has had her charges upgraded after a boy died following a crash on the state’s Central Coast last week.
About 12.45pm on Wednesday (4 January 2023), emergency services were called to the intersection of Mort Street and George Evans Road, Killarney Vale, following reports of a two-vehicle crash involving a Toyota sedan and Lexus SUV.
The driver of the sedan – a 42-year-old woman – was treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics for minor injuries on scene, while the passenger, an nine-year-old boy, was airlifted to John Hunter Hospital in a critical condition.
Officers attached to Tuggerah Lakes Police District established a crime scene, which was forensically examined by specialist police from the Crash Investigation Unit.
The driver of the SUV – a 51-year-old woman – was subjected to a roadside breath test, which allegedly returned a positive result.
She was arrested and taken to Gosford Police Station where she underwent a breath analysis, which allegedly returned a reading of 0.197.
As part of initial inquiries, the woman was charged with a number of driving offences including aggravated driving occasioning grievous bodily harm and driving under the influence.
She appeared in Newcastle Local Court on Thursday 5 January 2023, where she was granted conditional bail.
Yesterday (Saturday 7 January 2023), the nine-year-old boy died in hospital as a result of his injuries.
Following the death of the boy, the woman’s charges have been upgraded to:
- Aggravated dangerous driving occasioning death
- Dangerous driving occasioning death – drive under influence
- Dangerous driving occ death – drive manner dangerous
- Aggravated dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm
- Dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm – drive under the influence
- Dangerous driving occasioning grievous bodily harm – driver manner dangerous
- Negligent driving (occasions grievous bodily harm)
- Drive with high range PCA
- Possess prohibited drug
- Cause bodily harm by misconduct, in charge of motor vehicle
The woman will appear before Gosford Local Court on Friday 27 January 2023.