Further two charged over alleged North Coast assaults - Strike Force Temoin

Tuesday, 22 November 2022 07:09:36 AM

Detectives have charged a further two people as part of ongoing investigations into multiple alleged assaults and robberies on the state’s Far North Coast.

Between Monday 31 October and Saturday 12 November 2022, five men – aged 77, 58, 53, 50 and 27 – were allegedly assaulted in separate incidents at Evans Head and Ballina.

All five required hospital treatment.

Detectives from Richmond Police District – with assistance from the State Crime Command’s Robbery and Serious Crime Squad – established Strike Force Temoin after it was determined the incidents were linked.

Police will allege in each incident the men had arranged to meet a person they had been communicating with online.

After arriving at the agreed location, the men were allegedly confronted by a group of youths before being assaulted and robbed.

As part of ongoing inquiries, four teenagers – aged between 16 and 17 – were arrested during a police operation last week and charged over their alleged involvement in the incident. All remain before the courts.

Following further inquiries, strike force detectives executed a search warrant at an address in Alstonville, 15km east of Ballina, shortly after 8am yesterday (Monday 21 November 2022).

A 17-year-old girl was arrested and taken to Ballina Police Station, where she was charged with wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Just after 11am, a 16-year-old boy attended Ballina Police Station and was charged with four counts of robbery in company cause wounding or grievous bodily harm, and wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Both were refused bail to appear at a children’s court today.

Inquiries continue.

Anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Temoin investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report information via NSW Police social media pages.