Man charged after allegedly robbing people whilst at ATMs
Friday, 11 November 2022 10:35:57 AM
Robbery and Serious Crime Squad detectives have charged a man after allegedly robbing several people whilst they were withdrawing cash at ATMs across Sydney.
About 7.50am last Monday (31 October 2022), a 61-year-old woman was at an ATM on Waldron Road, Chester Hill, when a man – armed with a pair of scissors – threatened her and took $1000 cash before fleeing on foot.
Officers from Bankstown Police Area Command commenced inquiries into the incident.
Detectives attached to the State Crime Command’s Robbery and Serious Crime Squad took over the investigation under Strike Force Siestas yesterday (Thursday 10 November 2022), after five additional robberies were reported to police, including:
- About 5.50am on Wednesday 2 November 2022, a 52-year-old woman was withdrawing cash from an ATM at Morts Road, Mortdale, when a man threatened her and grabbed the money before running in an unknown direction.
- About 9.15pm that same day (Wednesday 2 November), a 34-year-old man was robbed at an ATM whilst he was trying to deposit cash, inside a shopping centre on Blaxland Road, Ryde. The man fled the scene in a white Subaru Impreza.
- Shortly before midnight on the Wednesday (2 November), a 20-year-old female employee was handling cash at a pharmacy on Auburn Road when she was approached by a man who demanded the money, before leaving in a white Subaru Impreza.
- About 10.45pm on Sunday (6 November 2022), a 44-year-old woman was robbed after withdrawing cash at an ATM on Selems Parade, Revesby. She was punched by an unknown man to the chest and stomach before he grabbed the money and fled in a white Subaru Impreza.
- About 7.15am yesterday (Thursday 10 November 2022), a 69-year-old woman was robbed whilst withdrawing cash at the same ATM on Selems Parade, Revesby, with a man armed with a knife. He was seen leaving in a white Subaru Impreza.
It’s alleged the offender was armed on each occasion.
Following inquiries, detectives attended a unit block at Virginia Street, Riverwood, where they arrested a 39-year-old man about 1.10pm yesterday.
Police also located and seized a white Subaru Impreza, which will undergo further forensic examination.
He was taken to Campsie Police Station and charged with three counts of robbery armed with offensive weapon, aggravated robbery, robbery while armed with dangerous weapon, and aggravated robbery.
The Revesby man was refused bail to appear at Bankstown Local Court later today (Friday 11 November 2022).
Inquiries under Strike Force Siestas continue.
Anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Siestas investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report information via NSW Police social media pages.