The NSW Government has announced a $500,000 reward for information over the 2014 suspicious death of a woman in Sydney’s south-west.
About 7.20pm on Friday 3 January 2014, officers from Liverpool City Police Area Command were called to Ferraro Crescent, West Hoxton, following reports of a woman needing assistance.
On arrival, police located a 39-year-old woman in nearby bushland, suffering extensive burns to her face and body.
She was taken to Liverpool Hospital before being transferred to Concord Hospital a few days later.
Despite medical treatment, the woman passed away in hospital on Friday 31 January 2014. She was formally identified as Monika Chetty.
Detectives from Liverpool City Police Area Command are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding her death under Strike Force Lanlo.
A $500,000 NSW Government reward has been announced for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for Ms Chetty’s death.
Minister for Police and Emergency Services, David Elliott, said the $500,000 reward into Ms Chetty’s suspicious death was a significant announcement that could hopefully assist investigators with information.
“It’s been more than six years since Monika Chetty’s suspicious death shocked the community and we all want to find out how such a crime could have happened,” Mr Elliott said.
“On behalf of the NSW Government, I hope this reward will help in some way to find those responsible so her family can get the much-needed answers.”
Liverpool City Police Area Commander, Superintendent Adam Whyte, said he hoped the reward announcement could prompt those who may be withholding information to come forward.
“Monika Chetty suffered a horrible death and we want to make sure the persons who inflicted this pain are brought to justice,” Supt Whyte said.
“Our detectives have been continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding her death and we’re hoping that this reward can prompt people who may have that vital information to come forward.”
Ms Chetty’s son, Daniel Chetty, said it had been hard to not have the answers about his mother for more than six years.
“It has been really hard not having my mum here for special occasions and milestones,” Mr Chetty said.
“There has to be someone out there who has information that can help investigators – I urge them to come forward so we can find out why my mother was taken from us.”
The $500,000 reward can be paid for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for Ms Chetty’s death.
Anyone with information that may assist Strike Force Lanlo investigators is urged to contact Crime Stoppers: 1800 333 000 or https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report crime via NSW Police social media pages.