Minister for Police and Emergency Services, Michael Gallacher, is urging members of the public to come forward with information that could help solve what happened to a 66-year-old South Coast grandmother almost 25 years ago.

Lillian Rigby's body was found in a dam adjacent to the ninth hole at a golf course at Sanctuary Point, on the NSW South Coast on January 15, 1987, the day after she was reported missing.

Medical examinations revealed Ms Rigby had suffered severe head injuries and subsequently drowned in the dam.

The matter is being investigated by the Southern Region Unsolved Homicide Team.

Minister Gallacher said Ms Rigby had only been in Australia for a short time before her death.

"Ms Rigby had migrated here from England to live with her son's family at Sanctuary Point in September 1986, less than 12 months before the incident," Minister Gallacher said.

"Initial investigations by the Homicide Squad have been unable to identify anyone responsible for Ms Rigby's death, but it is hoped the doubling of the reward from $50,000 to $100,000 will provide incentive for someone to come forward.

"I urge anyone with any information, no matter how insignificant it might seem, to provide that information to police and give the family the closure they require.

"This family has been grieving for almost 25 years, not knowing exactly what happened to Ms Rigby. They deserve to know the truth," Minister Gallacher concluded.

Anyone with information to assist detectives should call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. All information will be treated with the strictest confidence and callers can remain anonymous if they wish.

Do you have information that can help police with this case?

Any information you have about this is worth giving to police, no matter how small or insignificant it may seem.

You can provide information to police via any of the methods below:

Any information provided will be treated in the strictest confidence.

Your help may give police the clue they need to close this case and provide some comfort for the families of victims.

How to claim your reward

  1. Contact Crime Stoppers or your local Police Station.
  2. Identify yourself and indicate you have information about a crime and that you wish to claim a reward.
  3. You will then be put in contact with a police officer involved in the investigation of that case.