This page sets out information about legal proceedings relevant to the NSW Police Force.

The NSWPF has two different Commands that provide legal services – the Police Prosecutions Command and the Office of the General Counsel.

Visit Subpoenas/Notices to Produce to access information about subpoenas.

Visit GIPA Act / FOI to access information about applications.

Criminal Prosecutions and AVO matters

The Police Prosecutions Command is responsible for the prosecution of criminal proceedings, applications for apprehended domestic violence orders and other associated application proceedings (section 219 of LEPRA, confiscation of proceeds of crime) in the Local Court and Children’s Court of NSW.

Representations by lawyers acting for persons who have been served with a court attendance notice should be directed to the Commander the of the relevant Police Area Command, Police District or Specialist area responsible for the informant police officer.

Find your Police Area Command, Police District or Specialist area


Criminal prosecution appeals

Appeals filed in the District Court, Supreme Court or Court of Criminal Appeal connected with prosecutions in the Local or Children’s Court are generally handled by the NSW Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP). Court documents commencing an appeal should be served on the NSW DPP.

Where a prosecution, connected with an Commonwealth offence or Land & Environment offence (contravene noise abatement direction), was conducted by a Police Prosecutor, the NSWPF is generally responsible for conduct of an appeal to the District or Supreme Court

Please serve court documents on:

Appeals to the District Court or Supreme Court connected with AVOs, costs orders, forensic procedures & judicial review

Appeals connected with AVOs, costs orders and forensic procedures are coordinated by the NSWPF Office of the General Counsel.

Court documents commencing an appeal should be served on Office of the General Counsel.

Locked Bag 5102

Parramatta NSW 2142

Civil proceedings

Claim against the State of New South Wales

In accordance with section 6(1) of the Crown Proceedings Act 1998 (NSW) civil proceedings against the Crown under the title of “State of New South Wales” are required to be served on the Crown Solicitor.

Proceedings against the Commissioner of Police, NSW Police Force or an individual police officer or employee

(Including Industrial Relations Commission, NSW Civil & Administrative Tribunal, Administrative Appeal Tribunal, civil proceedings in the Local Court, District Court, Supreme Court and Federal Courts)

Please serve summons or other originating process on the Office of the General Counsel and not individual police stations.

Locked Bag 5102

Parramatta NSW 2142

Urgent matters – injunctions

Where there is a need to serve the Commissioner of Police an injunction, please email a copy to

This office and email account is only monitored during business hours.

Proper name for the NSW Police Force

The proper name or style is: “Commissioner of Police, NSW Police Force”