This approval is to allow persons, on behalf of an approved club, association or organisation, to conduct firearms safety training for longarms in accordance with an approved firearms safety training course. Applicants must hold a current (longarm) firearms licence and have held this for a minimum of three years.
- FORM P644 Application for a Firearms Safety Training Instructor (Longarms) (PDF)
- FACT Sheet Instructions for Completing an Application for a Firearms Safety Training Instructor (Longarms) (PDF)
- FORM P650 Declaration for an Unlicensed Person Shooting on an Approved Range or Undertaking a Firearms Safety Training Course
- FACT Sheet P650 Declaration for Range Use by and Unlicensed Person (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions on the P650 Process
For an individual undertaking activities in accordance with section 6B(1)(b) of the Firearms Act 1996, the successful completion of the P650 provides the individual with an exemption of the duration of the course being run by an approved firearms instructor.
Completion of P650 forms - Unlicensed persons shooting on an approved range under supervision
A P650 is required to be completed on the first occasion by the unlicensed individual seeking to participate in activities in accordance with section 6B(1)(a) of the Firearms Act 1996. However, where the individual seeks to attend the shooting range on more than one occasion, the Commissioner has determined that following the successful completion of the P650 on the first occasion, completion of a second and subsequent P650 is not required.
Rather the club or range official may elect to maintain a separate register to record the name, address, date of birth and details of the photo identification of the unlicensed individual. The register must also record the individual signing a declaration there has been no change in their circumstances which would affect the responses provided in their initial P650 application.
All courses being conducted by or on behalf of an approved pistol club prior to 1 October 2008, are approved by the Commissioner of Police for the purposes of clause 144(1)(b) of the Firearms Regulation 2017.
The Commissioner may vary or revoke this approval for any reason deemed appropriate.
- Pistol Safe Handling Course Completion Certificate (PDF)
- Completion Certificate Pistol Firearms Safety Training (PPL) Course (PDF)
- Failure to Complete Pistol Firearms Safety Training (PPL) Course (PDF)
- Pistol Club Clause 94 Notification (PDF)