About the Course
The University Certificate in Workforce Essentials (UCWE) is one of the first steps to a career with the NSW Police Force. It will provide skills needed in a workforce and help future applicants prepare for the Associate Degree in Policing Practice (ADPP) and a rewarding policing career. The UCWE was developed by the NSW Police Force and students completing the UCWE will be awarded a university certificate, which satisfies the academic prerequisites to lodge a police application with the NSW Police Force.
Students who successfully complete the UCWE will have their university certificate recognised by the NSW Police Force for three years from the date of completion. Those students who successfully complete the UCWE on or after 1 January 2019 will have their university certificate recognised by the NSW Police Force for one year from the date of completion.
Applicants must be aged 18 years or older, and an Australian citizen or permanent resident, to enrol in this course.
Please note: successful completion of the UCWE does not guarantee recruitment, selection or training as a policing student, or future employment with the NSW Police Force.
Study mode and key dates
The UCWE is offered online and includes a final face-to-face examination.
Please note: the UCWE final face-to-face examination is held at a study centre in Dubbo, Port Macquarie, Sydney or Wagga Wagga. Examination centres available for each session will be dependent on demand. In exceptional circumstances, students unable to attend the planned examination date may be eligible for a second examination date – these situations will be determined on a case-by-case basis only.
Dates for the online offering are:
|Session code||Commencing date||Examination date|
|201890GD||22 October 2018||19 January 2019|
|201915GD||31 December 2018||30 March 2019|
|201930GD||11 March 2019||8 June 2019|
|201945GD||6 May 2019||3 August 2019|
|201960GD||15 July 2019||12 October 2019|
|201975GD||26 August 2019||23 November 2019|
|201990GD||21 October 2019||18 January 2020|
Normal course duration
- 12 weeks online (recommended 12 –15 hours per week engaged in learning and assessment activities).
- Acceleration of the 12-week session to six-weeks is offered to students who meet the eligibility criteria* (recommended 25 – 30 hours per week engaged in learning and assessment activities).
- Five weeks face-to-face (Monday – Friday recommended 30 – 35 hours per week engaged in learning and assessment activities).
Online study allows students to balance the course requirements with their work and lifestyle commitments. This course will be offered online for six weeks and 12 weeks (with acceleration to six weeks for eligible students), and depending on demand, five weeks face-to-face. Face-to-face sessions, if offered, may be run from either Dubbo, Port Macquarie, Sydney or Wagga Wagga. To register your interest in an online five-week face-to-face session, send us an email with your contact information.
To be able to undertake the accelerated session duration of six weeks, students must be able to meet the following criteria:
- be able to meet the NSW Police Force eligibility to submit an application to join the NSW Police Force;
- submit a NSW Police Force Professional Suitability Application (PSA) (application to join the NSW Police Force) within three weeks of session commencement;
- attain a satisfactory grade for Assessment 1 and Assessment 2 by their due dates; and
- be confident that they are able to meet the recommended learning and study engagement of 25-30 hours per week.
Students will require a computer or laptop with the following minimum applications or equivalent to participate in the UCWE:
- Microsoft Office suite or equivalent, capable of producing / reading Word documents, Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint. Please note assessments must be submitted in Microsoft Word format
- Adobe Acrobat Reader - latest version
- QuickTime 7 or VLC media player
- internet connectivity ability.