Prior to starting an application, it may be helpful to visit the Application Assistant webpage to find simple, step by step guides to completing and lodging common applications.
All application forms contain detailed instructions. Closely following the instructions should avoid unnecessary delays.
Online application options
To apply for a new Class 1 and/or Class 2 security operative licences, please go to:
To apply for a new security master licences, please go to:
If you have any questions, please call the SLED Contact Centre directly on 1300 362 001, 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).
Fees and payment
Class 1 and Class 2 (operative) application forms
P608 - Mutual Recognition application for Class 1 and/or Class 2 Licence (PDF) for holders of a current and equivalent security licence in another State, Territory or New Zealand.
Master licence (business) application forms
SLED recommends TEPS permit applications be made online as it is simple and immediate.
For more information, visit the Applying for a TEPS Permit page
Approved Organisations (security training) application forms
More information for Approved Organisations is available on the Approved Organisations Information webpage.
Important information for Class 1 and/or Class 2 applicants
A Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) ID number is required prior to submitting an application for a NSW security operative licence.
All successful applicants for NSW security operative licences are issued with a photo licence card. NSW Security photo licence cards are produced by RMS on behalf of the SLED.
To enable the production of a photo licence card, applicants must hold a:
- NSW Driver Licence or
- obtain a Customer Number (for applicants that reside interstate and do not have a NSW Driver Licence).
To obtain an RMS Customer Number, an applicant needs to attend a Service NSW Centre or Agency and provide proof of identity documents such as a passport, proof of address (utility bill) and proof of signature (a credit card or similar).
For more information call 13 22 13 (if calling from NSW) or 1800 624 384 (if calling from interstate).
Important information for Class 2A applicants
Please note specific qualifications and experience are required for these licences.
Applicants must demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the Commissioner of Police, that they hold one of the following qualifications:
- Certificate IV in Security and Risk Management (CPP40707)* plus
- Prepare security risk management plan (CPPSEC5004A)
- Implement security risk management plan (CPPSEC5005A)
* The Certificate IV in Security and Risk Management (CPP40707) will cease to be accepted by SLED for licensing purposes from 28 September 2021.
- Certificate IV in Security Risk Analysis (CPP41519) including the units of competency:
- CPPSEC4003 Assess and advise on client security requirements
- CPPSEC4006 Conduct security risk assessment of client operations
- CPPSEC4007 Identify security threats and assess impact on client operations
- CPPSEC4012 Assess security vulnerabilities of assets
- CPPSEC4022 Establish and implement ethics and governance arrangements for security businesses
- CPPSEC4024 Assess security of crowded places
- CPPSEC4025 Advise on operational requirements to maintain crowded place security
- PSPSEC0015 Communicate security awareness
- CPPSEC4020 Advise on advanced technology security systems to meet client needs
- CPPSEC5003 Assess security risk management options
- CPPSEC5004 Develop security risk management plans
In addition to the above units of competency, to meet training package requirements for the Certificate IV in Security Risk Analysis (CPP41519), students must also complete one (1) additional elective unit. Individuals are encouraged to discuss the selection of this unit with their RTO.
Applicants must submit certified copies of the qualification and a statement of attainment or a record of results issued by a Registered Training Organisation showing that they have attained the required units of competency. Such documents must be submitted either with the application, or within 42 days of lodging the application.
Applicants must demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the Commissioner of Police, that they possess the following experience:
- have held a Class 1 and/or a Class 2 security licence continuously for a total period of at least 5 years, or
- have been recorded as a nominated person for one or more master security licensees continuously for a total period of at least 5 years, or
- have been employed by one or more master security licensees to manage the carrying on of security activities continuously for a total period of at least 5 years, or
- have carried on the activities authorised by a Class 2A licence in another jurisdiction, or as an exempt person, for a total period of at least 5 years.
Note: relevant experience is deemed to be continuous if not broken by any period in excess of 12 months, including the period immediately prior to the application for the Class 2A licence.
Applicants must submit evidence that they satisfy these experience requirements with their licence application.
Important information for Class 2D applicants
- hold a minimum of one of the following credentials:
- A diploma or higher level qualification in adult education, or
- TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment which includes qualifications for the areas they train and assess (e.g.Risk Management), or
- TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment which includes qualifications for the areas they train and assess (e.g.Risk Management) plus the following units:
- either TAELLN411 or TAELLN401A, and
- either TAEASS502 or TAEASS502A or TAEASS502B
- provide documentary evidence of at least three years of relevant industry experience.