Prior to starting an application, it may be helpful to visit the Application Assistant webpage to find simple, step by step guides to completing and lodging common applications.
All application forms contain detailed instructions. Closely following the instructions should avoid unnecessary delays.
Applications for Class 1 and Class 2 security operative licences can now be lodged online, go to https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/apply-security-operative-licence
If you have any questions, please call the SLED Contact Centre directly on 1300 362 001, 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).
Fees and Payment
Class 1 and Class 2 (operative) application forms
To lodge an online application for a Class 1 and/or Class 2 security operative licence go to https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/apply-security-operative-licence
P608 - Mutual Recognition application for Class 1 and/or Class 2 Licence (PDF) for holders of a current and equivalent security licence in another State, Territory or New Zealand.
Master Licence (business) application forms
SLED recommends TEPS permit applications be made online as it is simple and immediate. For more information, refer to the Applying for a TEPS Permit Online webpage.
Approved Organisations (Security Training) application forms
More information for Approved Organisations is available on the Approved Organisations Information webpage.
Important Information for Class 1 and/or Class 2 applicants
A Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) ID number is required prior to submitting an application for a NSW security Operative licence.
All successful applicants for NSW security Operative licences are issued with a photo-licence card. NSW Security photo-licence cards are produced by RMS on behalf of the SLED.
To enable the production of a photo-licence card, applicants must hold a:
- NSW Driver Licence or
- obtain a Customer Number (for applicants that reside interstate and do not have a NSW Driver Licence).
To obtain an RMS Customer Number, an applicant needs to attend a Service NSW Centre or Agency and provide proof of identity documents such as a passport, proof of address (utility bill) and proof of signature (a credit card or similar).
For more information call 13 22 13 (if calling from NSW) or 1800 624 384 (if calling from interstate).
Important Information for Class 2A applicants
Please note specific qualifications and experience are required for these licences.
Applicants must demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the Commissioner of Police, that they hold the Certificate IV in Security and Risk Management (CPP40707) qualification and have attained the following units of competency:
- Prepare security risk management plan (CPPSEC5004A)
- Implement security risk management plan (CPPSEC5005A)
Applicants must submit certified copies of the qualification and a statement of attainment or a record of results issued by a Registered Training Organisation showing that they have attained units of competency CPPSEC5004A and CPPSEC5005A. Such documents must be submitted by applicants either with their licence application or within 42 days of having lodged their licence application.
Applicants must demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the Commissioner of Police, that they possess the following experience:
- have held a Class 1 and/or a Class 2 security licence continuously for a total period of at least 5 years, or
- have been recorded as a nominated person for one or more master security licensees continuously for a total period of at least 5 years, or
- have been employed by one or more master security licensees to manage the carrying on of security activities continuously for a total period of at least 5 years, or
- have carried on the activities authorised by a Class 2A licence in another jurisdiction, or as an exempt person, for a total period of at least 5 years.
Note: relevant experience is deemed to be continuous if not broken by any period in excess of 12 months, including the period immediately prior to the application for the Class 2A licence.
Applicants must submit evidence that they satisfy these experience requirements with their licence application.
Important Information for Class 2D applicants
- hold a minimum of one of the following credentials:
- A diploma or higher level qualification in adult education, or
- TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment which includes qualifications for the areas they train and assess (e.g.Risk Management), or
- TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment which includes qualifications for the areas they train and assess (e.g.Risk Management) plus the following units:
- either TAELLN411 or TAELLN401A, and
- either TAEASS502 or TAEASS502A or TAEASS502B
- provide documentary evidence of at least three years of relevant industry experience.