Acquiring a Firearm
If you wish to acquire a firearm on your licence or permit, you must first make application for a Permit to Acquire a firearm.
The acquisition or supply of any firearm must be conducted by a licensed NSW Firearms Dealer.
Applying for a Permit to Acquire a Firearm (PTA)
You can apply for a PTA a firearm online at the Service NSW website: www.service.nsw.gov.au
What you'll need to complete an online application:
- A MyServiceNSW Account linked to the NSW Police Force
- Your firearms licence or permit number
- Full address details of where you will store the firearm
- If applying to acquire a handgun for sport/target shooting you will also need:
- Credit card for payment of the $30 PTA fee (unless you are a Primary Producer, or you have a fee exemption status as a Pensioner recorded with the NSW Police Force Firearms Registry)
When the PTA is issued it will be posted to you and you may then acquire your firearm on presentation of the issued PTA to your firearms dealers.
- FACT Sheet - Firearm Types (PDF)
- FACT Sheet - Things declared not to be firearms (PDF)
- FACT Sheet - Imitation Firearms (PDF)
- Licence Categories and Genuine Reason Table (PDF)
- FACT Sheet - Information on Obtaining a Firearms Licence in NSW (PDF)
- FACT Sheet - Fee Schedule (PDF)
For further information:
To contact the Firearms Registry Permits to Acquire Unit email: firstname.lastname@example.org.