Permit to Acquire (PTA) processing times are currently extended due to receipt of large volumes of applications. We appreciate your patience while we process these applications.
You can check the status of your PTA online by clicking ‘Check your Licence, Permit or Permit to Acquire’ from the Firearms Registry home page or use the following link https://apps.police.nsw.gov.au/FPR/licenceCheck/search.jsp. Enter your Firearms Licence number, click the ‘I’m Not a Robot’ box and follow the instructions on screen, then click Search to view your status report.
If your PTA application is not yet appearing on the Public Register, you can confirm receipt of your application by checking if payment of the PTA fee to NSW Police Force Parramatta has cleared your bank.
Do you wish to acquire a firearm?
If you wish to acquire a firearm on your licence or permit, you must first make application to the NSW Firearms Registry for a Permit to Acquire a firearm.
The acquisition or supply of any firearm must be conducted by a licensed NSW Firearms Dealer.
PTA Application Forms
Permit to Acquire application forms are now available from your firearms dealer or shooting club, making them much easier and quicker to obtain.
Alternatively, you may email email@example.com and request the forms be posted to you. If you are emailing, you must include your name and address, the number of forms you require (one form for each firearm you wish to purchase) and whether you require Longarm and/or Handgun application forms. Please allow up to 10 days for you to receive the forms in the mail.
Upon completion the PTA application form must be returned to the Firearms Registry for processing. Remember, you may only make application for one firearm per application form.
When the PTA is issued it will be posted to you and you may then acquire your firearm on presentation of the issued PTA to your firearms dealer.
Please Note: If you pay for your PTA using the credit card authority on the reverse of the PTA application form, your bank statement will show payment to the NSW Police Force.
Sample Forms & Fact Sheets
- FORM P562 (sample) - Application for a Permit to Acquire a Firearm - Longarm (PDF)
- FACT Sheet - Permit to Acquire - Longarm P562 Form (PDF)
- FORM P563 (sample) - Application for a Permit to Acquire a Firearm - Handgun (PDF)
- FACT Sheet - Permit to Acquire - Handgun P563 Form (PDF)
- Quick Guide - How to Purchase a Firearm (PDF)
- FACT Sheet - Firearm Types (PDF)
- FACT Sheet - Things declared not to be firearms (PDF)
- FACT Sheet - Imitation Firearms (PDF)
- Licence Categories and Genuine Reason Table (PDF)
- FACT Sheet - Information on Obtaining a Firearms Licence in NSW (PDF)
- FACT Sheet - Fee Schedule (PDF)
For further information:
To contact the Firearms Registry Permits to Acquire Unit email: firstname.lastname@example.org.