Managing a created report

I have submitted a report and would like to make a change - how can I do this?

You will not be able to make a change to your Report until NSW Police Force have accepted your report.  You will know it has been accepted when you receive a notification with an Event Number.  Once you have been provided with an Event Number, you can made additional changes.

Additionally, when you access your "My Reports" section, you will be able to make a change if there is an option to "Edit Report".

What should I do if I locate any of my property which I have reported online as Lost or Stolen?

It is important that if you locate any of your property that has been reported as Lost or Stolen, to advise NSW Police at the first opportunity. To do this, contact the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 or attend your Local NSW Police Station.