Frequently Asked Questions

Note: To search for a word on this webpage, press the Ctrl & F keys (command & F on a Mac) to open the ‘Find’ box.

Go to;


Who is eligible to apply for a security licence in NSW?

If you wish to apply for a NSW security licence, you must:

  • be 18 years of age or over;
  • be a fit and proper person to hold the class of licence sought;
  • have the relevant competencies and experience required;
  • have successfully completed the required training (including assessment);
  • be competent to carry on the security activity to which the proposed licence relates;
  • have Australian work rights; and
  • obtain either a NSW Driver Licence or Photo Card or Customer Number from Roads & Maritime Services (RMS).

What documents do I need to provide to prove that I am an Australian citizen/permanent Australian resident/ New Zealand National?

When you submit your application you must include a certified copy of ONE of the following:

  • Full Australian birth certificate (Extracts and Commemorative certificates are NOT acceptable)
  • Certificate of Australian Citizenship
  • Australian passport  (or an acceptable Australian travel document )
  • Non-Australian passport and visa pages (clearly showing name, date of birth, photograph, passport number, expiry date, country of issue and relevant visa)

Note: If the name on your evidence of permanent residency document is different to your current name, you must provide an original certified copy of acceptable documentary evidence of your change of name.

Why is a RMS ID number required prior to submitting an application for a NSW security operator licence?

All successful applicants for NSW security operator licences are issued with a photo-licence card.  NSW Security Photo-Licence Cards are issued by NSW Roads & Maritime Services (RMS).

To facilitate the production of a photo-licence card, applicants must either hold a:

  • NSW Driver Licence or
  • Photo Card issued by RMS or
  • obtain a Customer ID number (issued by RMS where applicants reside interstate).

To obtain an RMS Customer ID number, an applicant needs to provide proof of identity documents such as a passport, proof of address (utility bill) and proof of signature (a credit card or similar).

It is the SLED's understanding that RMS does not charge for this service.  However, more information can be obtained by telephoning RMS on 1800 624 384 (for interstate callers) or 13 22 13 (for calling from NSW).

Why must I submit certified copies?

You should always retain your original documents for safe keeping.  However, as you are required to provide documentary evidence of proof of identity in support of your application, a photocopy of the original is acceptable.

  • A photocopy of the original must be certified to prove that the photocopy is an exact copy that has not been altered in any way.
  • Only an Authorised Person has the legal authority to certify that the photocopy is a true and correct copy of the original.

What documents need to be certified?

When providing ANY of the following documents, only certified copies will be accepted:

How do I obtain certified copies?

When having documents certified, you should:

  • Take a CLEAR photocopy of all documents, ensuring that the details on the copy are easily visible.
  • Take the photocopies AND the original documents to an Authorised Person.
  • Have the Authorised Person compare the copy against the original.
  • The Authorised Person must certify EVERY photocopied page.  If you have photocopied documents on BOTH sides of a page, BOTH sides MUST be certified.
  • Once all photocopied documents are certified, submit ONLY these certified copies.

Note: Photocopies of certified documents will not be accepted.

Who can certify documents?

Documents may be certified by any one of the following Authorised Persons:

  • Justice of the Peace
  • Legal Practitioner
  • Notary Public

The person certifying the documents must:

  • Compare the original document to the copy of the document to be submitted and ensure it is identical.
  • Write (or stamp) on the copy "I certify this to be a true copy of the original document sighted by me".
  • Sign the statement.
  • Print the following details:
  • Name
  • Contact telephone number
  • Profession or occupation
  • Date certified

In addition, a Justice of the Peace must also print their registration number and the state in which they are registered.

If you are required to submit an overseas Police Certificate with your application, this certificate will need to be certified by the relevant Embassy or Consulate in Australia.

What is an acceptable change of name document?

Acceptable change of name documents must show a clear link between each of your names. Acceptable documents are limited to certified copies of the following:

  • Marriage certificate(s) issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages or, if you were married elsewhere, a certified copy of the marriage certificate issued by the celebrant or church
  • Change of Name certificate issued by the NSW Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages
  • Full birth certificate showing your name at birth and your new name (Extracts and Commemorative certificates are NOT acceptable)
  • Divorce decree
  • Deed poll registered with the relevant authority
  • Instrument evidencing change of name form registered in the Land Titles Office

How can I get an application form for a new licence?

To obtain an application, you can either:

  1. Download the relevant application form and schedule of fees from the 'Download Application Forms' webpage.
  2. Call the Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate (SLED) on 1300 362 001 between 8:30am - 4:30pm Monday to Friday to have an application pack posted to you.

What happens if I send my application form without all of the relevant information or certified copies of documents?

If an application is received at the SLED with incorrect or incomplete details, a letter will be sent to the applicant advising them to provide / amend these details. The application will be held at the SLED for 21 days during which time the applicant must supply the required documents / information if they wish their application to proceed.  If the requested documentation is not received within this 21 day period, the application will be withdrawn.

How long after I send in my application will I get my licence?

If you have correctly completed your application form and there is no criminal history recorded against you, you may expect to receive your "Photograph Advice" within approximately four weeks of having your fingerprints taken. If there is a requirement for further investigation or information, or if you are an ex- police officer, further delays may be experienced.

What will happen to my licence fee if I withdraw my application?

If a licence application is withdrawn prior to the licence being approved, the SLED will retain a non-refundable processing fee. This fee varies depending on the type of application submitted. The remainder of the licence fee will be refunded.
Further details on the non-refundable processing fee can be found in the 'Schedule of Fees' on the 'Download Application Forms' webpage.
However, once a licence has been issued there is no provision under the Security Industry Act 1997 for the refund of any fees paid.

What are the mandatory personal identification requirements?

To apply for a NSW security licence you must satisfy the following two identification requirements:

  1. You must hold either a NSW Driver Licence OR a Photo Card or a Customer Number  issued by the Roads & Maritime Services (RMS) showing your current name: AND
  2. ALL documentation submitted with your application that displays your name must show your name written and spelt in exactly the same way (unless you provide acceptable evidence of a change of name).

What happens after I receive the Photograph Advice letter?

When you receive your Photograph Advice letter, you must take it to a Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) Registry or agency or Service NSW Centre along with suitable ID to have your photograph taken.  In instances where the photo licence card is not printed on the spot, you can expect to receive it in the mail within approximately ten business days.

As stated in your Photograph Advice letter, your licence is issued subject to the condition that you personally attend an RMS Registry or agency or Service NSW Centre before the final date of acceptance to have your photograph taken.  You cannot be issued with a photo licence card after that date.  If you do not have your photograph taken within that period of time, your licence may be revoked.

Note: If you lose or misplace your Photograph Advice letter BEFORE the final date of acceptance, please call the SLED Contact Centre on 1300 362 001 between the hours of 8.30 am and 4.30 pm (Monday-Friday).

[ back to top of page ]


What are the training requirements to apply for a Class 1 NSW security licence?

Applicants must attain the units of competency required for the licence subclass/es sought.  Information on the competency requirements for each Class 1 subclass can be found on this website under “Competency requirements for Class 1 licences”.

Who can conduct the security training required to obtain a NSW security licence?

Only SLED Approved Organisations (Security Training) are authorised to conduct security training (not including first aid) for persons wishing to obtain a NSW Class 1 security licence.

The current list of SLED approved RTOs is available on this website under an Approved Organisation (Security Training).

Do I need a Senior First Aid (SFA) certificate?

A **certified copy of the statement of attainment/qualification recording HLTAID003 (Provide first aid) or HLTFA311A (Apply first aid) must be included with applications for the following Class 1 security activities:

  • Unarmed Guard
  • Bodyguard
  • Crowd control
  • Guard Dog Handler
  • Armed Guard

First aid training remain current for three years from the date issued. ** For more information on certified documents, please see NEW SECURITY LICENCE FAQs.

What should I do if my SFA certificate expires during the term of my security licence?

Licensees must ensure their first aid training remains current whilst performing the above security activities. If the SFA certificate expires during the term of a security licence, the licensee must complete relevant refresher or up dated training.

How long do my qualifications remain valid? What Training Certification is accepted?

All applicants for a Class 1 licence must meet current competency requirements as published on the SLED website.  Holders of training certificates that do not meet these requirements must contact an Approved Organisation (Security Training) to obtain acceptable training certification. Note: This does not apply to existing licensees who renew within 90 days of their licence expiry date.

First aid qualifications are only valid for three years from the date they were issued.

If you are no longer active within the NSW security industry and wish to re-enter the industry, you may contact the SLED Call Centre between 8:30am - 4:30pm Monday to Friday on 1300 362 001 for further information.

Will I ever need to update my training to remain employed in the security industry?

If your security licence lapses and/or you leave the security industry for a length of time, you may be required to update your qualifications before being eligible to apply for a new licence.  You may contact the SLED Call Centre between 8:30am - 4:30pm Monday to Friday on 1300 362 001 for further information.  You must update your first aid training every three years.

What are the qualification, training and experience requirements to apply for a Class 2A (Security Consultant) licence in NSW?

Please note specific qualifications and experience are required for these licences.

Competency requirements

Applicants must demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the Commissioner of Police, that they hold the Certificate IV in Security and Risk Management (CPP40707) qualification and have attained the following units of competency:

  • Prepare security risk management plan (CPPSEC5004A)
  • Implement security risk management plan (CPPSEC5005A)

Applicants must submit certified copies of the qualification and a statement of attainment or a record of results issued by a Registered Training Organisation showing that they have attained units of competency CPPSEC5004A and CPPSEC5005A.  Such documents must be submitted by applicants either with their licence application or within 42 days of having lodged their licence application.

Experience requirements

Applicants must demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Commissioner of Police that they possess the following experience:

  • have held a Class 1 and/or a Class 2 security licence continuously for a total period of at least 5 years, or
  • have been recorded as a nominated person for one or more master security licensees continuously for a total period of at least 5 years, or
  • have been employed by one or more master security licensees to manage the carrying on of security activities continuously for a total period of at least 5 years, or
  • have carried on the activities authorised by a Class 2A licence in another jurisdiction, or as an exempt person, for a total period of at least 5 years.

Note: relevant experience is deemed to be continuous if not broken by any period in excess of 12 months, including the period immediately prior to the application for the Class 2A licence.

Applicants must submit evidence that they satisfy these experience requirements with their licence application.

What are the qualification, training and experience requirements to apply for a Class 2D (Security Trainer) licence in NSW?

Applicants must:

  • hold a minimum of a (TAE40110) Certificate IV in Training and Assessment as well as qualifications for the areas they train and assess (eg Risk Management), and
  • provide documentary evidence of three years relevant industry experience.

Can I get recognition for prior learning (RPL)?

No.  The SLED does not accept training certificates that were issued through RPL for NSW Class 1 security licences.

[ back to top of page ]


What are SLED's contact details?

SLED's contact details are listed on the SLED Contact Details page.

How do I change the details of my Master licence? Is there any charge for this?

You must notify SLED, in writing,  within 14 days of any change to the operation of a Master licence. This includes change of contact details or change of close associates.

You must complete the "Application for Amendment or Replacement" form appropriate for the type of Master licence (available on the 'Download Application Forms' webpage) and post it to SLED along with the payment fee of $65.00 for a change of any details which appear on the licence, such as licence holder or Business / Trading name.

Note: Changes to contact details (which do not appear on the licence) do not incur a fee and can be emailed, faxed or posted to SLED (include licence number and full name of licence holder).

What happens if my photo licence card is lost, stolen, destroyed, defaced, mutilated or becomes illegible?

If your licence is lost, stolen, destroyed, defaced, mutilated or becomes illegible you should report the loss immediately to the Police Assistance Line (PAL), phone number 131444 and obtain the event (reference) number.

To comply with licensing requirements, you must complete a "P645 - Application for Amendment or Replacement of an Individual Licence" form (available on the 'Download Application Forms' webpage) and lodge it with SLED along with the applicable fee, as soon as possible and within 14 days.

You may continue to work pending receipt of your new replacement licence, providing you keep the event number on you for quoting upon demand.  A "photograph advice" will be sent to you to take to the Roads and Maritime Services to obtain your replacement licence.

I hold a security operator licence and have recently moved. How do I inform you of my change of address?

The Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate MUST be notified of your new address within 14 days of moving. Your new address details will only be accepted in writing. You can either send the address and telephone particulars by post, send a fax to SLED on 1300 362 066, or submit the information by email to

How do I alter the personal details shown on my photo licence card? Is there a charge for this?

To alter personal details displayed on your photo licence card (other than change of address), you must complete Form P645 (Application for Amendment or Replacement of an Individual Licence) and post it to SLED along with:

  • A certified copy of your birth certificate.
  • A certified copy of your Change of Name Certificate (issued through Births, Deaths and Marriages. Certificates issued through the Department of Lands are not accepted).
  • Payment fee of $65.00.

Once your application is processed you will receive a Photograph Advice letter which you must present to the Roads and Maritime Services to obtain your replacement licence.

When you receive your new licence you must surrender your old licence by either:

1. Posting it to:

Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate
Locked Bag 5099
Parramatta, NSW, 2124

2. Handing it in to your nearest Police Station.

[ back to top of page ]


What are the differences between on-time and late renewals?

The security industry legislation defines renewals as either being on-time or late, with a different fee applying to the type of renewal.

On-time Renewal: If a licence is renewed on or prior to the expiry date it is 'on-time'. An on-time renewal allows the licensee to continuously carry on the security activities authorised by the licence and attracts a cheaper fee.

Late Renewal: If a licence is renewed after the expiry date, but within 90 days of the licence expiring, it is 'late. The fee for a late renewal is higher than that for an on-time renewal as it includes a 'late fee'.

Note that a licence cannot be renewed more than 90 days after its expiry date and a new application will be required.

Can I work if I submitted my renewal after the licence expiry date?

Previously, a licensee who reapplied for their licence after it had expired was not authorised to work until they were issued their new licence. Now, a licensee who lodges a late renewal can return to work once their payment of the renewal fee has been processed and SLED has confirmed the authority to work.

What is the renewal process?

Approximately 8 weeks prior to the expiry of your licence, a renewal form will be mailed to you at the postal address recorded on the SLED database. The renewal form shows basic details such as your licence number and expiry date, your name and address, and the security activities authorised by your licence.

You simply have to review the information on the renewal form and, if it is correct, complete the relevant sections, sign the declaration and return the form with the appropriate fee to the SLED to have your licence renewed.

For more information on licence renewals and the applicable fees, please refer to the Schedule of Fees on the SLED website

Can I renew online?

Yes, you can renew your licence online by submitting your licence number, renewal number and any other required information (including payment details). For more information go to the 'Renew Your Licence Online' webpage.

Renewals can not be processed prior to the 'NSW Security Licence Renewal Application' being sent to the licence holder. This is sent to the licence holder's SLED-registered address eight weeks prior to expiry of a licence.

Can I change my address when I renew online?

Address details are unable to be changed on-line due to stringent NSWPF restrictions regarding the storage of address information.  For information about changing an address refer to the NOTIFYING SLED FAQs above.

How is licence 'renewal' new?

NSW security licences can now be renewed. Prior to 1 November 2012, the Security Industry Act 1997 did not allow for the renewal of a licence – all licence holders were required to 'reapply' each time their licence was due to expire. However, the amendments to the legislation that became effective on 1 November 2012 included those necessary to allow licences to be renewed.

[ back to top of page ]


I want to talk to someone personally about my application. Where do I go?

Applicants can contact SLED by phone (1300 362 001, 8:30am - 4:30pm Monday to Friday), fax (1300 362 066) or email ( The Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate does not provide counter services. Applications and payments will only be accepted by post.

What is the term of a security licence?

Class 1 and Class 2 licences are available for a one or five-year period, unless suspended or revoked during the licence period. Master licences are available for a one or five-year period, unless suspended or revoked during the licence period.

How must I wear my photo licence card?

Your photo licence card must be worn on the front side of your body, at or above waist level. The photograph and licence details on the front of the licence must be clearly visible to a person standing in front of you.  These requirements apply at all times when carrying out security activities, unless an exemption not to display the licence has been approved by the Commissioner. For more information on wearing and producing your licence, please refer to Fact Sheet 7 on the SLED website.

I have had my 5 year licence for 6 months but I do not wish to work in the Security Industry again. Am I entitled to a refund?


If I hold a Master Licence for my business, do I require Class 1 or 2 licences to carry out security activities?

Yes. A Master Licence is for the business only and allows you to employ or provide persons to carry out security activities. If you are a Sole Trader (ie. you do not employ staff) you must hold both a Master Licence and the appropriate individual licence/s.

What will happen to my licence fee if I withdraw my application?

The Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate will retain an administration fee (this varies depending on the type of application) and the remainder of the licence fee will be refunded, provided that your application is withdrawn prior to your licence being approved.

I have a security licence in another state of Australia. Do I need a licence in New South Wales?

Yes. If you have an equivalent licence in another state or New Zealand, you may apply for a licence in New South Wales under 'Mutual Recognition' laws. For further information, you should contact SLED.

I supply and install security doors and grilles. Do I need a security licence for this activity?

Regardless of the description of the doors and grilles being supplied or installed, the activity of supply and installation of doors and grilles designed to enhance or provide security and carried out in the course of conducting a business, is a security activity for the purposes of the Security Industry Act 1997 and thereby requires a security licence.

What is the difference between a monitoring centre and a control room for security licensing purposes?

A monitoring centre is a facility defined by Australian Standard 2201.2:2004 (Intruder Alarm Systems - Monitoring Centres) and those businesses that carry out the monitoring of domestic and commercial alarms.  A Monitoring Centre Operators’ prime duty is to monitor the alarm systems and action any alarm activations in accordance with client instructions.

Monitoring Centre Operators do not physically respond to alarm activations. They action alarm activations in accordance with client instructions and that may include requesting other Security Operatives to respond to security risk situations.  Much of the day to day work involves using computers that monitor alarm systems, entering data and producing reports about alarm activations.

A control room is generally a facility within a specific site, such as an office building or large business complex, where the day to day operations are monitored within the site by close circuit television, internal alarm systems and security devices that are site specific.  A Control Room Operator is usually a Static or Mobile Patrol Guard (1A subclass)  whose duties include shifts in the control room, physically responding to alarms and maintaining the security of the site or requesting that other on site guards respond to any alarm activation or breach of security.

Only persons carrying on a security activity in alarm monitoring centre operations in relation to monitoring domestic and commercial alarms require the 1E sub-class.

How do I add additional class/es to my security licence?

If you wish to add additional sub class/es to your current security operator licence you must:

  1. Obtain the relevant qualification/s.
  2. Click on the link here to download the P645 Application to amend, vary or replace an existing class 1 and/or 2 security licence.
  3. Post the application form, certified copies of all support documentation and payment to:

Locked Bag 5099
Parramatta N.S.W 2124

Note: The expiry date on your security licence does not change when adding on sub classes, the term of your licence will remain the same as your current licence.

Can I contest SLED's decision to refuse or revoke my licence? ('Right of Review')

Section 29 of the Security Industry Act 1997 gives a person the right to request the Administrative Decisions Tribunal to review the following decisions made by the Commissioner of Police:

  • the refusal or failure to grant a security licence to the person
  • the refusal or failure to renew a security licence held by the person
  • a condition imposed on a security licence granted to the person
  • the revocation or suspension of a security licence granted to the person.

Prior to making an application to the Tribunal to have a decision reviewed, the Administrative Decisions Tribunal Act 1997 allows for the person to seek an internal review of the Commissioner's decision.

The internal review is carried out by a person, within the NSW Police Force, who was not involved in the Commissioner's original decision and results in the original decision being overturned, varied or confirmed.  An internal review is often a cheaper and quicker alternative to lodging an application with the Tribunal.  However, if the person is not satisfied with the outcome of the internal review, he/she still has the option of lodging an application with the Tribunal.

Who may apply for an internal review?

Either the applicant/licence holder or a person acting on their behalf.

An application for an internal review should:

(a) be in writing, and
(b) be addressed to the Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate, and
(c) specify the address in Australia to which a reply may be sent.

An application for an internal review must be received by the Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate within 28 days of the applicant/licence holder receiving the notice of refusal/revocation.

Further information can obtained by calling the SLED Contact Centre on 1300 362 001 (Mon-Fri, 8.30am-4.30pm).

[ back to top of page ]

Sub Navigation