Operator Licences

Operator licences are required for any person that engages in Commercial Agent and/or Private Inquiry Agent (CAPI) activities including Process Serving, Debt Collection, Repossession of Goods, Surveillance of Persons and Investigation of Persons.

Licensees must be employed by the holder of a Master licence (not subcontracting), or hold an Individual Master licence themselves.

A person's first operator licence (probationary licence) and any subsequent probationary licences, are issued subject to a condition that the licensee may carry out the activities authorised by the licence only under the immediate supervision of the holder of a Master licence or the holder of an unrestricted operator licence.

Operator licences cannot be transferred.

Authority conferred by an Operator licence

An Operator licence authorises the licensee to undertake CAPI activities ONLY in the activity to which the licence relates.

To qualify for an Operator licence you must:

To apply for an Operator licence you must:

New Applicants

Current licence holders

  • A courtesy reminder letter and application package will be sent approximately 8 - 10 weeks prior to the expiry of your licence. It is important to maintain up-to-date address details with the Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate (SLED). Incorrect address details may lead to delays in renewing your licence.
  • Identify the activity(ies) and term of the licence you wish to apply for.
  • All applicants will be required to provide evidence of their authority to work in Australia and will be required to have their fingerprints taken.
  • Former interstate or overseas police officers must include a certificate of satisfactory service and honourable discharge with their application form. All applications by current and former NSW police officers will be referred to the NSW Police Professional Standards Command for assessment.
  • Include payment of the full licence fee, either by cheque, money order or credit card (Visa or MasterCard). CASH is not accepted.
  • Post your application to the Security Licensing & Enforcement Directorate, Locked Bag 5099, Parramatta, NSW, 2124. All applications must be sent by mail. The SLED does not have facility for personal lodgement and facsimile copies are not accepted.
  • If your application is approved a 'Photograph Advice' will be sent to you by mail, advising you how to collect your licence. You may then go to any Roads and Maritime Services office or agency in New South Wales, where your photo licence will be issued.

Licensees must advise the SLED of any changes of address within 14 days of moving. This ensures that all documentation is sent to the correct address. Incorrect address details may lead to delays in renewing your licence.

NOTE: It is the responsibility of current licence holders to be aware of the expiry of their current licence and to ensure that an application is submitted before that date.