New South Wales together with all other States and Territories will conduct a three (3) month amnesty starting on 1 July 2017 and ending at midnight on 30 September 2017.
For the period of the amnesty, members of the public in possession of unregistered firearms and firearm related articles will be able to surrender, register or supply those items to a participating firearms dealer without fear of prosecution. Prohibited Weapons can also be surrendered during the amnesty.
The aim of the amnesty is to either register firearms or remove them from the community.
The Firearms and Weapons Legislation Amendment Bill 2017 will amend the Firearms Regulation 2006 and Weapons Prohibition Regulation 2009 to make provision for the firearms and weapons amnesties. The Bill can be viewed in the link below. Please be advised that only the provisions in the Bill relating to the amnesty will commence on or prior to 1 July 2017.
- Amnesty Frequently Asked Questions
- List of Participating Firearm Dealers (PDF)
- Locate your nearest Police Station
- National Firearms Amnesty Website
Amnesty Contact Details
- Amnesty Information Line: 1800 803 041 (9.00am-4.00pm Monday to Friday - except Public Holidays)
- Amnesty Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org