NSW Police Academy
Strengthening the capability of the New South Wales Police Force to provide a safe and secure NSW through quality training, education and development.
- High quality recruitment
- World Class Constable Education
- Superior police operational skills training
- Leading edge police education research and development
- Renowned police leadership and management training, education and development
Campus Facilities and Accommodation
The NSW Police Academy is situated on 40 hectares of undulating land at Goulburn, in the southern highlands of New South Wales, approximately 200 kilometres from Sydney. A driver training complex is located approximately 5km from the main campus and comprises about 80 hectares of land.
The Academy buildings are extensive, consisting of 80 training facilities such as lecture theatres, classrooms, virtual weapons training facility, live fire indoor pistol range, a simulation training venue, and a covered outdoor learning area.
The Goulburn campus also boasts a well-equipped gym as well as bicycle and running tracks, recreation and common rooms, and access to golf clubs. There are about 1000 people on campus each day, including experienced police officers, as the Academy offers over one hundred specialist courses for operational police.
Accommodation facilities consist of 816 single residential rooms, 30 motel style units, 10 flats and two houses. Both catering and cleaning are provided by outside contractors, with the dining room serving approximately 2,000 meals daily. Students may also choose to go home on weekends while they are studying at the NSW Police Academy.
The Goulburn community also provides home-stay accommodation for another 150-200 (up to 400 students), and short-term leases are also available off campus for students who want to share. Students can apply for the large number of scholarships that are available to help cover their study expenses.
Goulburn was named a city on 14 March 1863, by Royal letters patent by Queen Victoria making it the first inland city. It was originally an Aboriginal crossroad, with six or more small tribes based within 3 days travel of the site.
Governor Macquarie explored the country in 1820 and named the new area the Goulburn Plains in honour of Henry Goulburn, the Secretary of State for War and Colonies at the time.